OpenMarine

Full Version: Beaglebone Support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of jumping into the OpenPlotter world, and have been looking around at different sensor options, shields, etc.  In my searching, I came across the Beaglebone Black Enhanced. In addition to the more numerous and useful IO's (and CANbus support) of the typical Beaglebone Black, it has built in wifi, more usb ports, barometer and temp sensor, and the best of all: a 6-axis accel/gyro.  This eliminates the need for several additional sensors needed for the Rpi or original BBB.  With a CAN cape, it seems like this would be an ideal base for an OpenPlotter build.

So my question is: What type of trouble would one likely run into trying to get OpenPlotter to work on a BBB running Debian?
if you want support from this community you should use a pi3 that's what most of us use
that board uses a AM335x 1GHz ARM® Cortex-A8 processor, not as good as pi3 @4× ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz..
the pi3 is cheaper.and has a standard 40 pin gpio i don't see needing more that that
and a hat will be available soon for pi3 that has GNSS GPS and AIS receiver's Barometric pressure, humidity, temperature, gyroscope, accelerometer and magnetometer sensors
http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=868
did i mention the pi3 is cheaper..

if you want to try it out go ahead just don't expect much for support..
I know the processor is a bit better on the pi, but imo, that's about the only advantage for this application. The BBB has analog input and output, pwm control, you can use a $15 CAN tranciever, and a lot of those other sensors are already built in the enhanced version. To get all that added to the pi, you'd spend more than the BBB enhanced costs.

I have a pi 3 and it's a nice little computer, but seems more geared towards media than control. I am pretty familiar with Linux in general, so I don't mind doing a little work to get the BBB to play nicely. But if it came to coding new kernel or driver type stuff, I would be in over my head. Raspbian is built on Debian, so I am hoping that the transition will be fairly painless.

I ordered a BBB enhanced, so I will at least install it and see what breaks.
good luck then let us know how it works out
oh and welcome to the forum and cool handle..ninjaneer
(2018-02-19, 06:37 AM)ninjaneer Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

I'm thinking of jumping into the OpenPlotter world, and have been looking around at different sensor options, shields, etc.  In my searching, I came across the Beaglebone Black Enhanced. In addition to the more numerous and useful IO's (and CANbus support) of the typical Beaglebone Black, it has built in wifi, more usb ports, barometer and temp sensor, and the best of all: a 6-axis accel/gyro.  This eliminates the need for several additional sensors needed for the Rpi or original BBB.  With a CAN cape, it seems like this would be an ideal base for an OpenPlotter build.

So my question is: What type of trouble would one likely run into trying to get OpenPlotter to work on a BBB running Debian?

I have a BBB but did not find the time to make a start unlee i have an older version. But indeed BBB is it worth to give a try. I can look in old resources how you get it to run. Main fact if Saillog provide installation scripts and not Noobs. This will make yours live more easy... For the Sensors you will have more advantages than with the raspberry
I agree, an install script would go a long way towards getting it to work. A list of dependencies would be a good second option.

Have you had a chance to dig up the resources you spoke of?
(2018-02-21, 07:03 PM)ninjaneer Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, an install script would go a long way towards getting it to work. A list of dependencies would be a good second option.

Shure the easy way is 

go to the developer forum of the incredible pbx ask you have a beaglebone and a boat. and that you like not only to have marine radio on the boat . you like to have also a realy fixed number. the problem is 12 volts and beagle bone is perfect so you like if possible a one in all solution. there are a lots of good developers that help you .... Normal  do any linux instalation with the scripts of ward mundy team the incredible is you realy have all fax and so on. and you can put the complete instalation to a usb stick and it will run in any pc after 5 minutes as virtual box. most important their system is hardened in security as you never have seen. tell them that  you have the tip from arztde and keep attention to make ward mundy interested. i think latest after 2 weeks you will have it. but base system will be incredible pbx. community i am since several years but still wait for final openplotter version. it will be changed the right developer kernel and so on... but they will suggest you to make it easy to go for raspery pi. the things  beagle bone will not work good from open plotter can stripped out. with incredible pb i have since years worldwide near free phonecalls.

and family worldwide just log in the phoneserver and call free also. i run the raspberry pi for the moment. and there can phone 30 phones without problem the same time. I think this is the most easy way t get a start. 

ahhh only hardliners in open source there. I did implement a german pbx. and was big discussion until the maintainer  did change the instalation script copyright. than it was done in 2 days. ward was kicking out for example redhead in time they was not compliant and other big 20 million companies. i think this can bring a lot of usa boat owners to use openplotter. It was my initial to use alexa in the boat. because the google tts and stt machines are since years includet.
(2018-02-21, 07:55 PM)tocan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-21, 07:03 PM)ninjaneer Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, an install script would go a long way towards getting it to work. A list of dependencies would be a good second option.

Shure the easy way is 

go to the developer forum of the incredible pbx ask you have a beaglebone and a boat. and that you like not only to have marine radio on the boat . you like to have also a realy fixed number. the problem is 12 volts and beagle bone is perfect so you like if possible a one in all solution. there are a lots of good developers that help you .... Normal  do any linux instalation with the scripts of ward mundy team the incredible is you realy have all fax and so on. and you can put the complete instalation to a usb stick and it will run in any pc after 5 minutes as virtual box. most important their system is hardened in security as you never have seen. tell them that  you have the tip from arztde and keep attention to make ward mundy interested. i think latest after 2 weeks you will have it. but base system will be incredible pbx. community i am since several years but still wait for final openplotter version. it will be changed the right developer kernel and so on... but they will suggest you to make it easy to go for raspery pi. the things  beagle bone will not work good from open plotter can stripped out. with incredible pb i have since years worldwide near free phonecalls.

and family worldwide just log in the phoneserver and call free also. i run the raspberry pi for the moment. and there can phone 30 phones without problem the same time. I think this is the most easy way t get a start. 

ahhh only hardliners in open source there. I did implement a german pbx. and was big discussion until the maintainer  did change the instalation script copyright. than it was done in 2 days. ward was kicking out for example redhead in time they was not compliant and other big 20 million companies. i think this can bring a lot of usa boat owners to use openplotter. It was my initial to use alexa in the boat. because the google tts and stt machines are since years includet.

I'm going to be honest... I understood about 20% of that. haha   Big Grin
(2018-02-22, 04:49 AM)ninjaneer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to be honest... I understood about 20% of that. haha   Big Grin

Congratulations, you understood about 20 % more than the rest of us Wink
I understood 100% nothing - but maybe we live on a different planet than tocan Wink
Pages: 1 2