OpenMarine

Full Version: NMEA0183 changes from OP 8.0 to 10.0?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all - thanks!

The short version is that I upgraded from an OP v8.0 system last year to a 10.0 version this year and one of the external systems that receives NMEA0183 data over the WiFi output can no longer digest the data. Other systems seem unaffected and we’re wondering if some new data (or data structures) are being fed into the default NMEA feed that this external system can’t cope with?

Longer version:

Last season, I ran an Openplotter 8.0 based system (headless) on our boat using a Pi 2B with a GPS dongle, the digital-tv received AIS, magnetometer, pressure/temp and temp/humidity sensors on a hat and broadcast the data over WiFi mainly to give us an AID view over a VNC virtual desktop, but also to feedback a secondary laptop my skipper uses as a backup. He uses a windows service called GPS Gate to take NMEA data, extract the GPS information and then create a dummy COM port that makes Garmin Enroute/Nroute think it has a hardware GPS attached.

This OP build had become a bit unreliable due to incremental changes and (probably) a dodgy SD card, so I rebuilt from scratch on a Pi3 and new SD card. The attached hardware and sensor hat are unchanged.

Configuration-wise, it’s a pretty default setup - I had to build it the day before flying out.

GPSgate acknowledges that there is data being received over the designated IP port, but gives up saying that it is ‘unknown’. I have a number of NMEA dashboard apps on iOS devices and these all happily receive and decode the data over the same port.

I’ve not added or changed any filtering to the NMEA sentences.

Any ideas what might have changed (we are obviously investigating if GPSGate has been updated etc. with unintended consequences). Unfortunately, we won’t be back on the boat for another week, so I can’t check or report much back before then.

Thanks all.