OpenMarine

Full Version: noobs usb boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
searching the inerweb i saw something about the newer noobs being able to install to usb.
so i downloaded the newest version from raspberry pi site unzipped and copied to a usb, pulled the sd card and booted up. noobs came up and i installed raspbian lite and it rebooted the sys. all seems to work.
so it looks like we will be able to run op from a usb stick in the new release."fingers crossed"
(2018-05-27, 03:38 PM)jim321 Wrote: [ -> ]searching the inerweb i saw something about the newer noobs being able to install to usb.
so i downloaded the newest version from raspberry pi site unzipped and copied to a usb, pulled the sd card and booted up. noobs came up and i installed raspbian lite and it rebooted the sys. all seems to work.
so it looks like we will be able to run op from a usb stick in the new release."fingers crossed"

Jim do you have a feeling for any speed benefit or deficit using usb versus the sd card?

Thanks
Chris
the main reason i want to boot from usb is my rpi will be buried inside a monitor and would be a hassle if i needed to get to the sd card.that being said it does feel faster v1.0.0 i dont know if its because of being stretch or usb booting.
i think it would boot faster without noobs, but loading programs seems faster and boot times are a nonissue to me ..
so short answer yes seems faster..
be careful if I am not wrong this setting is irreversible, you will be not able to boot from an SD again.
(2018-05-29, 06:40 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]be careful if I am not wrong this setting is irreversible, you will be not able to boot from an SD again.

no .it just adds usb to the boot options
it checks sd first if not found it looks for usb.
tested
it is irreversible
(2018-05-27, 03:38 PM)jim321 Wrote: [ -> ]searching the inerweb i saw something about the newer noobs being able to install to usb.

Hi Jim, I am having problems with that. I tried to install V1 on mys USB/SSD without success.
I posted a thread in the Bug section : http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=1182
Help welcomed !
all i did was format a drive download unzip copy files to drive removed sd inserted usb and powered up it went to the noobs screen and installed op.
Not working with my Pi 3. are you using a 3B + ?
sailoog just uploaded an img if you want to burn that instead
i have pi3
i unzipped in same folder
open the unzipped folder to NOOBS_v2_8_1 open that to show all those files select all copied pasted to a fresh formatted drive fat32 pull sd plug into usb boot

if you unzip strait to the drive those files are two folders deep and it wont see them to start the boot
No, I copied the content of NOOBS_v2_8_1...