OpenMarine

Full Version: Booting from USB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I posted on the Raspberry Pi forum about problems booting from USB. 

I was told that some OS do not support booting from USB, is that true of Openplotter?

I have a Pi 3B+ so USB booting is enabled on it by default. Yet If I take my working Sdcard out and stick it into a USB dongle, the system will not boot. Gets as far as the Raspberry Pi logo then ends up with a blank screen. 

If I try to boot Openplotter from a USB SSD, It doesn't even get that far. The Pi turns on, the light on the HDD comes on to show it has power/is connected, but nothing. The Pi doesn't even send a signal to the monitor. 

Is there something specific to Openplotter preventing it booting from USB?
"Is there something specific to Openplotter preventing it booting from USB?"
no.. look thru the forum.. i have booted from usb with a little dongle to a 700gb hard drive from a laptop with usb adapter.
I can confirm that a Raspbian Stretch flashed onto an sd card and booted via usb adapter works no problem.

Openplotter flashed onto a an sd card and booted via a usb adapter doesn't work for me. Though the same card will boot find when placed into the sd card slot.

The SSD doesn't work at for me, so that probably a compatibility issue and can be ignored for now.

p.s there aren only 3 threads it seems about usb booting (according to the search) this is one of them. None of the others are relevant unless they deal with the 3b+ and the openplotter version based on stretch.
I can boot openplotter from usb-ssd when it is the only usb device connected to the pi. The usb-ssd doesn't boot from my active hub. (I have some power issues.)
Same here. I've spent the past several days trying to get my system to boot from SSD connected to a USB3 adapter. It goes down to USB2 when connected to the pi, but it's nice to have the USB 3 for transferring files directly to the SSD. Now for some reason my WiFi is dropping out when I have the SSD connected. It's supposed to be separately powered, and I don't see any evidence in the logs of low voltage issues.

Very frustrating. I've ordered another RPI to make sure it isn't an issue with a bad board. At this point I'm considering just going to SD card only.
The SSD problem isn't Openplotter related. It's to do with the adapter used.

The main part of my post is having a problem booting Openplotter from a working SD card plugged in via USB. Openplotter will not boot from it. The Raspbian stretch distro downloaded from the Pi Foundation does. Which leads me to believe that it's an Openplotter problem.
I've been successful booting from USB.

What I found was not in any way OpenPlotter related - there were some changes required to /etc/fstab (to change the device on a few mounts from the sd card to the USB partitions) and to /boot/cmdline.txt to likewise change a reference.

Hope that helps!
I've still not got this to work. Stretch will boot not matter what media I put it on, but Openplotter will only boot from SD card. So I think it is 100% Openplotter related.

I'm now wondering if Openplotter uses a different kernel config than the default Raspbian Stretch. Is the firmware for the USB loaded into the kernel at boot in Openplotter? That could be the issue.

Quote:RedRyder
I've been successful booting from USB.

What I found was not in any way OpenPlotter related - there were some changes required to /etc/fstab (to change the device on a few mounts from the sd card to the USB partitions) and to /boot/cmdline.txt to likewise change a reference.

Hope that helps!

Raspbian Stretch doesn't require any changes at all, so I can't see it being that.
The last time I set it up from scratch I just put NOOBS on the SSD and didn't put an SD card in. It found NOOBS on the SSD and started the installation from there. Are you using a 3+?
i am running on usb right now so it's not openplotter.
in fact i installed it on a thumb drive copied it to a 2.5 sata 700gb drive with an external case "usb"
now i use the thumb drive as a backup.and had to use it today.
like abarrow sayed install it to the usb device copying from a sd card causes problems..
Pages: 1 2