OpenMarine

Full Version: Garmin HD radar setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After spending most of yesterday searching for instructions and details. I seem to be banging my head against a wall!
I have a Garmin HD radar scanner (no display) a pi 3 with openplotter 2.0 installed and the pi radar 5.0 plug in.

After a lot of time wasted, I found the installation guide info that mentions a switch from pin 5 of the ethernet cable to ground.
This does turn on my radar, but not every time - does the radar shutdown again if there is no ethernet response?
Is there a specific sequence for turn on?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
(2020-02-19, 10:28 AM)jontys Wrote: [ -> ]After spending most of yesterday searching for instructions and details. I seem to be banging my head against a wall!
I have a Garmin HD radar scanner (no display) a pi 3 with openplotter 2.0 installed and the pi radar 5.0 plug in.

After a lot of time wasted, I found the installation guide info that mentions a switch from pin 5 of the ethernet cable to ground.
This does turn on my radar, but not every time - does the radar shutdown again if there is no ethernet response?
Is there a specific sequence for turn on?

For the sake of anyone having the same issue:
The ethernet cable should be an ordinary patch cable (not a crossover) and so, the F-F adaptor should be a back to back (not x-over).
Taking pin5 to ground with the ethernet cable plugged into a working port will power up the scanner.
I'm currently testing it on a win7 laptop using opencpn v5.0 and gradar and it does work.
Radar_pi 5 is the recommended plug in, but, my opencpn reports it as incompatible!