OpenMarine

Full Version: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
We have just published the first version of openplotter SDR VHF app with AIS reception included.

More SDR tools like gqrx will be added soon.

AIS reception features are:

- Both AIS channels reception with just one SDR device.
- Custom output UDP port.
- Automatic Signal K connection.
- Multiple SDR devices supported.
- Editable SDR device serials.
- Tools for calibration.

To install SDR VHF app you will need openplotter-settings 2.3.0. Please report bugs here.
Great Work, Sailoog.

if anybody has an old version aktive, you should disable this service first, look into this thread:
http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.p...9#pid13429

stay well, 
holger
(2020-04-20, 07:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]We have just published the first version of openplotter SDR VHF app with AIS reception included.

More SDR tools like gqrx will be added soon.

AIS reception features are:

- Both AIS channels reception with just one SDR device.
- Custom output UDP port.
- Automatic Signal K connection.
- Multiple SDR devices supported.
- Editable SDR device serials.
- Tools for calibration.

To install SDR VHF app you will need openplotter-settings 2.3.0. Please report bugs here.

No Reception yet.

After setting the band to gsm900 and Channel 13. If I do edit again the settings for this items are again empty.

I also get a kernel bug.

It would be nice to see the Ais objects here in my office.

Bram
To get AIS data you only need to select a device and set the PPM and the UDP port values. All options in "calibration" section are just to find out the PPM of your device.

Short calibration manual
  • Select a device
  • Click "Initial PPM" to get an approach to your ppm value. The longer you let the program calculate the better result you will get. If you run the program for hours you will get almost the final ppm but if you do not have time just wait for the value to stabilize.
  • Close the program and put the result into the PPM field.
  • Select the GSM band for your zone and try to get the strongest channel clicking "Get Channel".
    [attachment=911]
  • Put the strongest channel into "Channel" field and press "Get PPM". Put the result into the PPM field again rounding the value without decimals and you are done.
  • Provide a UDP port to send AIS data to (default 10110). A Signal K connection will be created for that UDP port.
Tips

PPM values have a tolerance of +/-7.
PPM value can be negative.
If you do not find the correct PPM you will not get AIS data.
The PPM value will change with temperature so let the device work for 30 minutes before calibrating.
Some devices are already calibrated (PPM near 0) even with different temperatures.
I have it working. I tried entering my -1.78 ppm in the correct field and got an error. Since it was so low, I just entered 0 and it's all working.

Thanks for your hard work on this.
(2020-04-21, 06:07 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]I have it working. I tried entering my -1.78 ppm in the correct field and got an error. Since it was so low, I just entered 0 and it's all working.

Thanks for your hard work on this.

Do not use decimals, round to the nearest whole number, in your case -2.

SDR devices are amazing. Can not wait to add more tools Big Grin

You have to thanks to e-sailing too, we did that together Smile
Running my SDR, and receiving data in Opencpn through the K signal. The calibration is the same as the one I had done manually.

Thank you,
At first I tried this on my AMD64 system. Install from the OpenPlotter Settings gave an error about a postinstall.... file missing.

Then I installed the application from Synaptic. No error with the installation. Switched on the Ais application.

It seems to be working. But looking at the "sudo systemctl status openplotter-rtl_ais.service". There the outcome is displayed as "disabled". Switched the autostrart on and rebooted the system. Now the message is "enabled" . However I have not seen any objects passing by. But perhaps there are no ships here at rhe moment.

Then I did the same thing on my RPI4 with the V8 kernel. All seems to work. Message enabled.

But in the end i get the message:

Detected Kernel usbfs nmap () bug. falling back to buffers in userspace.

Bram
(2020-04-22, 06:14 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: [ -> ]At first I tried this on my AMD64 system. Install from the OpenPlotter Settings gave an error about a postinstall.... file missing.

Then I installed the application from Synaptic. No error with the installation. Switched on the Ais application.

It seems to be working. But looking at the "sudo systemctl status openplotter-rtl_ais.service". There the outcome is displayed as "disabled". Switched the autostrart on and rebooted the system. Now the message is "enabled" . However I have not seen any objects passing by. But perhaps there are no ships here at rhe moment.

Then I did the same thing on my RPI4 with the V8 kernel. All seems to work. Message enabled.

Bram

what was the missing file in your AMD?

That is the expected behavior for enable/disable status

You need to provide the correct ppm to see AIS blanks and to have some ship around of course Smile

I can not help with errors with beta kernel because we use only stable kernels to develop
(2020-04-22, 06:34 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-22, 06:14 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: [ -> ]At first I tried this on my AMD64 system. Install from the OpenPlotter Settings gave an error about a postinstall.... file missing.

Bram

what was the missing file in your AMD?

That is the expected behavior for enable/disable status

You need to provide the correct ppm to see AIS blanks and to have some ship around of course Smile

I can not help with errors with beta kernel because we use only stable kernels to develop

Hi, can you tell me how to make connection from SDR VHF app to opencpn. I make those steps as You give in SD VHF app but I have to make connection manually. Do I have to use SignalK server? I have error on system check that there's no connection to opencpn. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ccygZ2ePo247XobN7
Regards Przemek
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10