OpenMarine

Full Version: [SOLVED] No signal K keys to choose, Questions during update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi! Some days ago, I installed a new OP from a recently downloaded 0.10-NOOBS-File, then upgraded to 0.15.1 beta via the update function within Openplotter. Ist a Raspy 3.

Everything seemed to work good.

Now I wanted to Setup my 1W Sensors. In the 1W Tab, I go to add. There I can choose one of my four sensors, can give it a Name, but the field "Signal K key" is empty, no Dropdown. Klicking the field does nothing.

As i remember, there should be different Keys to choose. Without the ability to choose or edit this field, ist not possible to save a sensor.

So what could be wrong?

One more - may be related -  question is:
Everytime i do a update/upgrade, there are misc error messages and warnings (to fast to read/keep). And, there are at some points interactive questions like "this file has been changed, wich version do you want to keep?"

What is the right choice in this case? Keep? Overwrite?

I think im not the only one who isnt experienced enough with the system, to make the right choice... Smile

THX in advance! Smile

More details about the problem, i think this could help to solve? Here is the output of the debug-terminal when restartig Signal K. Sorry for providing it as a Picture, as i dont know how to copy / paste it from the remote desktop of the Raspy...

It says its missing a file: keyswithmetadata.json.
Yes sorry, you have updated to a unfinished update. Yesterday we find a critical error that made impossible to push the new update. I will fix this today. You should just update again when it is ready.
(2017-10-09, 04:59 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Yes sorry, you have updated to a unfinished update. Yesterday we find a critical error that made impossible to push the new update. I will fix this today. You should just update again when it is ready.

Hi Sailoog, thank you very much, this are good news! So it was just bad timing.

Can you say how much data volume this next update will transfer?

Actually i live on the boat, and i just have 4G/LTE internet. The last update from 10 to 15 took nearly my whole monthliy traffic volume, there is not enough left to do it again this accounting period... Smile
ops, yes updating from 0.10.0 takes a long time and lots of bytes. Most of your packages are already updated so you would not need more than 100 MB. This number is not accurate, I do not want you to run out of traffic, Can you take tour system to any wifi?
The update is ready, you should be able to do it now.
(2017-10-09, 06:06 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]ops, yes updating from 0.10.0 takes a long time and lots of bytes. Most of your packages are already updated so you would not need more than 100 MB. This number is not accurate, I do not want you to run out of traffic, Can you take tour system to any wifi?
The update is ready, you should be able to do it now.

Again, thanks a lot! Just triggered the update. After a minute or so, the RDP session was closed and cant be reestablished, so i cant see the Progress. I can VNC-in, but as it is another session, i cant see the progress there too.

But my OP is still running. So i will wait for 30 minutes, hoping the update works unattended. And than restart the Raspy? Or re-Trigger the update via VNC?

THX for your efford, especially in this hard days!

Ok, the good news are: RDP works again. The System now is on 0.16!

The bad news: Still no Signal K keys! But a different error message when restarting Signal K Server, i attach a picture again:
Those warnings messages are normal. You do not have any error on this screenshot. Are you sure you have any data input to feed signal k server?
Im not sure if i undestand the question right. As said in my initial post, my aim was to feed data from the 1W sensors.

They showed up in the 1W - add - dialog with their ID. But the problem was, that there where no keys to choose, and without choosen key, no saving possible.

Now, after some testing and plugging/unplugging, restarting and so on.. the sensors disappeared from the sensor ID list in the add 1W Dialog. They are not longer recognized.

So all gets worse, and i give up.
(2017-10-10, 10:37 AM)ElbeTaxi Wrote: [ -> ]Now, after some testing and plugging/unplugging, restarting and so on.. the sensors disappeared from the sensor ID list in the add 1W Dialog. They are not longer recognized.

So all gets worse, and i give up.

If a sensor ID doesn't show on the list, it means that it isn't recognized by the system any more. It is not an open plotter issue. I have had two issues that took me quite some time to sort out. Both issues are/were related to bad connections.
My 1W system is implemented with CAT5 cable and splitters off the main trunk line. I use ethernet cable cable sections to go between splitters and each sensor plugs into the splitter with the same connectors (8 conductor RJ45 connectors).
It turns out (and I still have a hard time believing it) that the cheap splitters I was using are causing issues. There are no active components in these splitters yet the sensors would sometimes be there and sometimes not. I ended up tossing all my cheap splitters that cost me somewhere around $0.50 each and replaced them with splitters around $2 each. I also made some of my own splitters. It was a very frustrating issue to trouble shoot because the same splitter might work one day but not the next.
The magic answer - apparently a splitter that has all three locking tabs on the RJ45 connectors on the same side are good splitters. These splitters are generally based on a little PCB inside the housing with three standard sockets soldered to the PCB.
I still have occasions when the whole system goes down and I end up wiggling all connections to the PI which fixes things. I have not been able to locate the bad connection on the PI.
I found choosing a key a bit non-intuitive but once I realized how things were set up, everything worked well.
I agree that the sensors are not showing up now might be a connection issue, because i disconected and reconnected several times on my trys to get it work. So the solderiings might get damaged.

But the former problem (no function of the choose-key-field) was not. I had it running on a previous version, so in generally i understood how to set it up, and the wiring was ok.

Now i consider to roll back to just a Jessi with just a kplex on it, what i had running before for a long time without hassle.

For all the sensor/controlling/automation things i will install FHEM on the Raspy, it controls my whole home and Im more experienced with it.

But i will keep an eye on OP, and when it gets stable with longer update intervalls, ill give it another try, i promise! Smile
ElbeTaxi I need to know the error that terminal is given, if not I can not fix it. Your last screenshot did not show any error. I suspect your update was not done correctly, try again and keep with us please Smile
Pages: 1 2