OpenMarine

Full Version: AIS Collision Alarm: CPA/TCPA Alert Data Output
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I'm a beginner and loving the OpenPlotter and dAISy combination for AIS information.

Is there a way to output CPA/TCPA (Closest Point of Approach) Alert Data to a 4x20 LCD and flash an LED?  

I have the hardware setup from Adafruit tutorials, but does anyone know if an OpenPlotter setup like this has been documented before?  How can I access the CPA/TCPA Alert Data?  What's the best way to send it out to the LCD, Node Red?

A similar boundary alarm could be triggered with the plugin WatchDog, but it would not have the relevant data of the CPA/TCPA alarm, such as vessel name, bearing, speed, or TCPA.

I'm running OpenPlotter V0.9 headless on a RPi3 with a dAISy hat.  (AMAZING Software and Hardware!  Thank you to All who have contributed.)

Any help or pointers appreciated. Thanks!

Geoff
(2018-01-29, 10:04 PM)GSAtlantic Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to output CPA/TCPA (Closest Point of Approach) Alert Data?

Should this be a feature request?

Geoff
are you sure you want this as part of OP ? In OpenCPN you already have the various AIS alarm settings - but "just" audio and not your requested blinking LED.
Maybe a feature request to the opencpn team to get a some addl NMEA message and then use OP to action on these messages.

just my 2c - maybe others have better ideas ?
(2018-02-04, 10:00 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: [ -> ]are you sure you want this as part of OP ? In OpenCPN you already have the various AIS alarm settings - but "just" audio and not your requested blinking LED.
Maybe a feature request to the opencpn team to get a some addl NMEA message and then use OP to action on these messages.

just my 2c - maybe others have better ideas ?

Skipper,

My goal is to run headless to save power, but still know when, and from where, an AIS target is approaching.  I think I could currently output the AIS NMEA messages.  Calculating bearing, distance, and CPA is the harder part which OpenCPN already does.

Perhaps I just need a louder speaker for the alarm.

Thanks,

G
I would like this as well. I would put the 8x8 bright LED matrix of my Sense Hat to work on AIS collision alarm.

I was also thinking about a visual alarm when a pre-programmed magnetic course (set with the on board arrow keys) deviates 25 (+/-) degrees compared to actual heading, that way the captain has an eye, when below deck, at what the steerman/autopilot is doing. A similar visual alarm for GPS signal loss. All that would require quite some creativity with Python, it's doable.

Why the LED matrix? My 15 inch LCD goes to sleep after 5 minutes. It would save power and a step or two to move the mouse to have OpenCPN back on the screen. Why not a buzzer? Because of engine noise but both visual and audible would be better.