OpenMarine
Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update (/showthread.php?tid=1068)

Pages: 1 2

Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - longjohn119 - 2018-03-14

I don't know if everyone caught this recent release by the Raspberry Pi Foundation n hardware updates to the Raspi 3 B+. Basically it's faster has a heat spreader on the SoC and updated WiFi antenna similar to the Pi Zero W

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3262676/computers/the-raspberry-pi-3-model-b-rolls-out-just-in-time-for-pi-day.html

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - reinM - 2018-03-16

Yesterday I received a new RPI 3 model B+ board. Immediately I switched everything over from my RPI 3 model B board. But I only got a coloured screen and a yellow arrow in the right corner. The red light on the board was flashing, nothing more. I checked with different power sources and different SD cards no difference.
Today I got a second one, again the same result. On the Rasbian side I saw that there was a new release of NOOBS, Version 2.7.0 release date 2018-03-14. So I made a new SD card. And now Rasbian is working, but no OpenPlotter.
Anyone has the same problem, or already a solution to get OP working ?

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - shark24 - 2018-03-16

Small gain in performance but the power consumption doubled. Ill stick to the old pi.

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - longjohn119 - 2018-03-16

(2018-03-16, 04:03 PM)reinM Wrote: Yesterday I received a new RPI 3 model B+ board. Immediately I switched everything over from my RPI 3 model B board. But I only got a coloured screen and a yellow arrow in the right corner. The red light on the board was flashing, nothing more. I checked with different power sources and different SD cards  no difference.
Today I got a second one, again the same result. On the Rasbian side I saw that there was a new release of NOOBS, Version 2.7.0 release date 2018-03-14. So I made a new SD card. And now Rasbian is working, but no OpenPlotter.
Anyone has the same problem, or already a solution to get OP working ?

The Kernel needs to be updated for the New Raspi 3 B+ as well as the WiFi/Bluetooth drivers. The new Raspi now has a Power Management IC as well as a different WiFi/Bluetooth chipset.  To get it working you might be able to compile Open Plotter from the Git Hub sources after installing the new NOOBS but the Devs would have to help you out with that.  Otherwise we'll just have to wait for them to update the normal install files 

Oh the woes of bing on the Bleeding Edge .....

(2018-03-16, 05:47 PM)shark24 Wrote: Small gain in performance but the power consumption doubled. Ill stick to the old pi.

Give them a  few weeks to get the bugs out of the new Kernel because with the new Power Management IC we should get lower power consumption and better Core speed and voltage management like an ARM based smartphone or tablet.  A lot of the articles don't mention it but now it has a dedicated Power Management IC but like the pre-approved by the FCC/CET WiFi/Bluetooth module they are using, it was something professional engineers wanted for commercial designs using the Raspi as the main controller. The old Power Management was discrete and pretty crude by today's standards and with the old WiFi/Bluetooth IC designed as part of the Raspi board it meant the Raspberry Pi Foundation had to send in sample to the FCC and CET for compliance testing with every new Pi or update to the PCB and any professionals using it in a commercial design would also have to send in their design for FCC and CET approval. With the pre-approved module that's taken care of by the manufacturer of the module. Marine electronics manufacturers like Lowrance, Humminbird and Minn-Kota started doing the same the last couple of years which is why for instance Minn-Kota went from 433 MHz ISM band wireless controllers to WiFi/Bluetooth controllers that use these pre-approved modules on the autopilot and remote controlled trolling motors ..... Now every time they change the PCB design on a head unit or a handheld controller they don't have to send it into the FCC and CET for compliance testing which is a big hassle and impedes improvements to designs

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - jim321 - 2018-03-17

https://youtu.be/fKWIkuy0Ar0?t=4m50s

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - verkerkbr - 2018-03-19

No, the cause of the problem is only the Noobs installer. If you replace the Noobs installer with the latest version, by using the right procedure, then it works very well and fast.

You can replace the Noobs with keeping keep your old settings. See my other message.

Now working here as before but faster !

Bram

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - verkerkbr - 2018-03-22

Small problem on my Raspberry Pi3B+. The update version checking of OpenPlotter is too fast. It is started before the network start has been completed.

The networks connection is certainly working, but starting slower then version checking.

Bram

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - baltika_no_9 - 2018-03-24

I have the same but can't you set a delay under the Startup tab of OpenPlotter to allow for this?

Incidentally, I updated NOOBS to the latest version but still couldn't get OP to boot on my Pi 3 B+ until I upgraded from Jessie to Stretch. OP/OpenCPN work fine but it has messed up my networking a little which I need to sort out.

Chris

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - 1jollymon - 2018-03-24

Hi All,

If someone has figured out how to get OpenPlotter merged with the new Rasbian version for B+, please provide details on how to get it up and running. I bought a B+ to play around with to see how much better it could be. My first impression is that power supply is going to be an issue for portability.  

Also, has anyone looked at ODROID-C2 or ODROID-XU4 www.odroidinc.com ?

RE: Raspberry Pi 3 Hardware Update - verkerkbr - 2018-03-24

(2018-03-24, 04:49 PM)1jollymon Wrote: Hi All,

If someone has figured out how to get OpenPlotter merged with the new Rasbian version for B+, please provide details on how to get it up and running. I bought a B+ to play around with to see how much better it could be. My first impression is that power supply is going to be an issue for portability.  

Also, has anyone looked at ODROID-C2 or ODROID-XU4 www.odroidinc.com ?

At first it looks if it is a power problem, but that is not the cause of the starting problem. The cause is only the Noobs installer. You need the latest version of Noobs.

If you replace Noobs with the latest version, then it works as before, but faster. See my other mail for a site with instructions how to do the replacement.

Bram