OpenMarine
Tack settings - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: Pypilot (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Tack settings (/showthread.php?tid=1895)

Pages: 1 2

Tack settings - rastam4n - 2019-07-18

Can someone point me to or tell me how to adjust the tack settings? The config window for pypilot in opencpn does not allow adjustment, guessing there is another spot for these?

RE: Tack settings - seandepagnier - 2019-07-19

In the latest opencpn pypilot plugin, there should be a signalk client that at least allows you to modify all the parameters including tacking.

Tacking support at this time is still experimental and being developed. Would like to know what you find.

RE: Tack settings - rastam4n - 2019-07-20

[attachment=491 Wrote:seandepagnier pid='9566' dateline='1563546302']In the latest opencpn pypilot plugin, there  should be a signalk client that at least allows you to modify all the parameters including tacking.

Tacking support at this time is still experimental and being developed.   Would like to know what you find.

Thanks Sean. 
I found the signalK client and the settings but while I can change the settings within the client they do not populate into the pypilot configuration tab.. 
But atm I am just making blind choices without any indication of how each change effects the actions of the AP, is there any documentation on how this all works... even a description of concept?

These are the buttons which are not working (highlighted in yellow)

and here is where I have found these settings in the signalK configuration file

RE: Tack settings - rastam4n - 2019-07-31

(2019-07-19, 03:25 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: In the latest opencpn pypilot plugin, there  should be a signalk client that at least allows you to modify all the parameters including tacking.

Tacking support at this time is still experimental and being developed.   Would like to know what you find.

Hi Sean
Can you provide some insight into what each of the tack settings parameters does and how it effects steering? That might help me to dig further into learning how to use this feature

RE: Tack settings - seandepagnier - 2019-08-02

tack.angle - angle to turn through tack, usually 100 degrees
tack.speed - how fast to tack
tack.delay - how long to wait before tacking once you press tack button
tack.complete - what point while tacking to switch back to autopilot holding the new course

RE: Tack settings - rastam4n - 2019-08-02

(2019-08-02, 05:11 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: tack.angle - angle to turn through tack, usually 100 degrees
tack.complete - what point while tacking to switch back to autopilot holding the new course

Turn through tack... so you point your sail boat into the wind and sail 100 degs off your original heading?
how fast to tack meaning? rudder angle? I don't understand 

I am trying to use this to do a 180 gradual turn while trolling in a motor boat. What settings would you use..
My guess is 
tack.angle - 180
tack.speed - as low or slow as possible? so 1
what is ap.tack.threshold?

Also since I started using the pypilot plugin with opencpn on my RPi the tack options no longer appear? I running the latest version 0.5 according to git

RE: Tack settings - seandepagnier - 2019-08-05

(2019-08-02, 06:16 PM)rastam4n Wrote:
(2019-08-02, 05:11 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: tack.angle - angle to turn through tack, usually 100 degrees

Turn through tack... so you point your sail boat into the wind and sail 100 degs off your original heading?
how fast to tack meaning? rudder angle? I don't understand 
How fast to tack is how quickly to move the rudder to tack.
Quote:I am trying to use this to do a 180 gradual turn while trolling in a motor boat. What settings would you use..
My guess is 
tack.angle - 180
tack.speed - as low or slow as possible? so 1
what is ap.tack.threshold?
Not sure you will get exactly what you are looking for with the tack function here. In any case, threshold is really what I described complete. So if you set it to 0.75, it would turn 120 degrees and then change back to autopilot with a new course of 180 different, so eventually turning the last 60 degrees using normal autopilot course correction (which is generally slower than tacking)

Quote:Also since I started using the pypilot plugin with opencpn on my RPi the tack options no longer appear? I running the latest version 0.5 according to git

I'm not sure, I need to improve the tack interface as well as the rudder centering function. I hope to post updates to the plugin on github soon.

RE: Tack settings - seandepagnier - 2019-08-08

tacking needs rework in the ui as well as actual more testing while sailing. It is a new feature.

I am also considering separate jibe parameters, what do you think?

RE: Tack settings - rastam4n - 2019-08-08

(2019-08-08, 07:56 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: tacking needs rework  in the ui as well as actual more testing while sailing.  It is  a  new  feature.

I am also considering separate  jibe parameters, what do you  think?

I think that is a great idea!. The Jibe parameters would likely be more use able to my needs then the Tack parameters are.

All I need is a button to hit that will turn my boat 20 deg every minute for 9 minutes

RE: Tack settings - seandepagnier - 2019-08-09

Why exactly do you need to change 20 degree every 9 minutes?

You could make a route in opencpn to follow. Or if you really care about time and not actual position, you could write a script that connects to pypilot and performs this.