OpenMarine
Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: How do I...? (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station (/showthread.php?tid=205)

Pages: 1 2

Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - gaspbut - 2016-09-22

Hi everyone,
I have a Raspberry pi3 with openplotter 0.8.0 installed. I connected my wind station through a serial / USB converter but on the dashboard opencpn "app. wind speed and direction" I have no indication. On inspector I see nmea data transit but on opencpn nmea debug window I have no data nmea.
What could be the problem?

Thanks 

Gas

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - Microyacht - 2016-09-25

What make/model is the NMEA Wind Masthead unit Gas ?

Steve/G4MJW

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - gaspbut - 2016-09-25

(2016-09-25, 12:29 PM)Microyacht Wrote: What make/model is the NMEA Wind Masthead unit Gas ?

Steve/G4MJW

The wind unit is a Navman W100

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - Microyacht - 2016-09-27

Many thanks for the info Gas.

I have my system working with GPS, AIS and System Clock kept up-to-date by GPS. I also have the whole suite of CM93 Charts covering the entire world:

[Image: AION-1.jpg]

I've not yet got an NMEA Masthead Wind Unit but that's next on the list. It will probably be a NASA unit as they are easily available in the UK and look well made:

[Image: Nasa-Wind-NMEA.jpg]

I wonder if you've had any luck solving your problem yet?

Steve/G4MJW

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - e-sailing - 2016-09-28

If inspector does show you nmea sentences and opencpn nothing. Then there is something wrong with your connection settings in opencpn.
Opencpn settings should be:
(Net 127.0.0.1:10110 1 TCP Input In:None, Out: None)
(Net 127.0.0.1:10110 1 UDP Output In:None, Out: Send RMB)

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - gaspbut - 2016-09-28

(2016-09-28, 09:53 AM)e-sailing Wrote: If inspector does show you nmea sentences and opencpn nothing. Then there is something wrong with your connection settings in opencpn.
Opencpn settings should be:
(Net 127.0.0.1:10110 1 TCP Input In:None, Out: None)
(Net 127.0.0.1:10110 1 UDP Output In:None, Out: Send RMB)

I have checked the connection settings in opencpn and it's corrects. The strange things is that GPS sentences are present in inspector and in opencpn and gps  works correctly!

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - e-sailing - 2016-09-28

It looks like you made a step forward. "On inspector I see nmea data transit but on opencpn nmea debug window I have no data nmea."
So you have on both sides nmea. Please post some wind NMEA sentences from Inspector (MWV, VWR) should look like:
$IIMWV,313,T,08.16,N,A*2B

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - gaspbut - 2016-09-29

(2016-09-28, 03:48 PM)e-sailing Wrote: It looks like you made a step forward. "On inspector I see nmea data transit but on opencpn nmea debug window I have no data nmea."
So you have on both sides nmea. Please post some wind NMEA sentences from Inspector (MWV, VWR) should look like:
$IIMWV,313,T,08.16,N,A*2B

Here the wind NMEA sentences from Inspector:

$IIVPW,,,,, 
$IIVWT,,,,,,,,, 
$IIVWR,137,R,000,N,,,, 
$PTTKW,137,S,000,B,00.0 
$IIMWV,137,R,000,N,A 
$IIVPW,,,,, 
$IIVWT,,,,,,,,, 
$IIVWR,137,R,000,N,,,, 
$PTTKW,137,S,000,B,00.0

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - e-sailing - 2016-09-29

There is no checksum at the end of each sentence. Has been discussed before.
http://forum.openmarine.net/archive/index.php?thread-179.html
Does it solve your problem?

RE: Opencpn does not receive the nmea sentences from the wind station - gaspbut - 2016-09-29

Ok, I'll try to disable the checksum control on Opencpn TCP connection.