OpenMarine
I2C port configurable - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I2C port configurable (/showthread.php?tid=2410)

I2C port configurable - hreuver - 2020-03-08

Currently I'm using Openplotter on an Odroid.
Difference between Odroid and  Pi4 is mainly /dev/i2c-2 vs /dev/i2c-1 and the lack of integrated wifi.

I don't use Openplotter-Wifi since I can use the tools from the distribution for that.
The difference in I2C ports cause a lot of small nagging problems, which should not be there if the software was generic.
Hardcoding the I2C ports speeds up the development in short term, but I believe it will ultimately causes more problems then necessary.

With regards,
HR

==========
Of the Raspberry-only tools I guess the ones below should work with minimal changes:
- Xygrib
- I2C sensors
- Pypilot

I haven't tried the Moitessier HAT, 1W and analog sensors.
I2C works mostly if I make a softlink from /dev/i2c-2 to /dev/i2c-1, but the mpu9250 fails currently.

Canboat can be installed using "apt-get --build source ...".
With canboat, openplotter-can and signalK also work.
I expect Xygrib to work to work in the same way.

My current system is Ubuntu 18.04 with the extra packages from OpenPlotter as below:

openplotter-can                           2.1.0-stable
openplotter-dashboards              2.1.0-stable
openplotter-i2c                            2.1.0-stable
openplotter-pypilot                      2.0.7-beta
openplotter-settings                    2.2.0-stable
openplotter-signalk-installer        2.1.0-stable
canboat                                       1.2.4-stable
xygrib                                          1.2.7 (github)

The OpenCPN installer works generally, but I currently use OpenCPN from github with more and newer plugins than OpenPlotter can provide right now.
(Until the package manager from OpenCPN becomes fully operational I guess.)

RE: I2C port configurable - Sailoog - 2020-03-09

As you know we are focused in RPi and never tested OP in others embedded cards. Those changes you propose would be easy if we have a method to detect the host system is an embedded system (RPi, Orange Pi, Banana Pi, Odroid...). Do you know a good way to check this?

We are ready for the coming OpenCPN and managed plugins but we will never add alpha and beta versions to OpenPlotter.

RE: I2C port configurable - hreuver - 2020-03-09

With "cat /proc/cpuinfo" or "i2cdetect -l" most information can be obtained. If you need more information, please ask.

Below you find:
- RPI4 (for reference)
- Odroid N2 (my target)
- RockPro64 (I probably won't use it with openplotter-i2c, but it was here).
I shortened the information a little since most data is simply the same information with a different core number.

I think more generic code for openplotter-i2c, openplotter-can and openplotter-pypilot is a good thing of itself. A configurable I2C port would be very helpfull even without explicit support for my system.

<off-topic>
My intended use would be the compass-only mode, providing pressure and heading from a MPU9250 + BMP280 to SignalK.

Currently RTIMULibDemoGL works without a problem with a MPU9250 (with SignalK in the background, being fed from from other sensors via openplotter-i2c and canboat). However when I try openplotter-pypilot the i2c-bus gets blocked.

I suspect I missed some i2c command while trying to get openplotter-pypilot to work. I will report it if I find the cause (even without support).
</off-topic>

==========
Raspberry Pi 4:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 270.00
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd08
CPU revision : 3
Hardware : BCM2835
Revision : b03111
Serial : 100000002ad088c4
Model : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
$ i2cdetect -l
i2c-1 i2c bcm2835 I2C adapter I2C adapter

==========
The Odroid:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 48.00
Features : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU architecture: 8
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4
processor : 5
CPU part : 0xd09
CPU revision : 2

CPU info : 290a4000010e1900000c303254524d50
Serial : 4682a6ca-f9ce-4159-b157-001e06423e0b
Hardware : Hardkernel ODROID-N2
Revision : 0400

(AmLogic S922X: 2x A53 like the RPI3 + 4x A73)
$ i2cdetect -l
i2c-3 i2c Meson I2C adapter I2C adapter
i2c-2 i2c Meson I2C adapter I2C adapter

Mostly the i2c-2 is used.
The second i2c-bus is used for the RTC (but is is also accessible through the 40pin header).

==========
The RockPro64:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 3
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4

processor : 4

processor : 5

Serial : 0000000000000000

(RK3399: 4x A53 like the RPI3 and 2x A72 like the RPI4)

# i2cdetect -l
i2c-0 i2c rk3x-i2c I2C adapter
i2c-1 i2c rk3x-i2c I2C adapter
i2c-4 i2c rk3x-i2c I2C adapter
i2c-8 i2c rk3x-i2c I2C adapter
i2c-9 i2c DesignWare HDMI I2C adapter
i2c-10 i2c DP-AUX I2C adapter

I assume i2c-8 is available through the Pi2 40pins connector.

RE: I2C port configurable - Sailoog - 2020-03-10

OK, thanks for this report, we will go into this soon (after the stable release is published)

RE: I2C port configurable - hreuver - 2020-03-14

I promised some update if I knew more:
- after getting an error of wrong ID (112) I replaced the MPU with another MPU9250
(exchanging the cheap noname MPU by a Sparkfun worked here).
- I hardcoded on every spot i2c-bus = 2 (as required by my hardware)
- the RTIMULib still uses some autoconfiguration, where a default i2c-bus of 1 is assumed
after setting the RTIMULib.ini the RTIMU also works correctly.

After these changes most Openplotter scripts work.
Since I have to give a password for sudo I needed some changes in sudoers to get everything working without auth.
And I did not use Openplotter by the book, but after openplotter-i2c-read and openplotter-pypilot-read were running
the configuration tools worked as well.

The problems with the IMU became visible after the umpteenth reinit when using pypilot_boatimu without options.

Most changes for openplotter-i2c where pretty straightforward replacements of the i2c-bus in python.
Configuring RTIMU made openplotter-pypilot work (and one changed i2c-bus in a i2cdetect call).

The reason to still ask you to implement the a configurable i2c port is that those features should be upstreamed when possible (and my coding style is quite bad).

Through it all I got one other feature request:
For pypilot the data needs to be obtained in realtime, when using the IMU in compass-only mode, could the measurement frequence drop to perhaps once every 1-10 seconds?
I think after accuracy powersaving gets more important for compass-only. Or perhaps this was allready requested?

RE: I2C port configurable - sebba - 2021-05-04

(2020-03-14, 04:05 PM)hreuver Wrote: The reason to still ask you to implement the a configurable i2c port is that those features should be upstreamed when possible (and my coding style is quite bad).

I am also subscribing for this, I think will be helpful for broken I2C default pins or for some more complicated PCBs where accessing the default pins could be difficult.
Thanks