OpenMarine
Sense Hat - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Sense Hat (/showthread.php?tid=503)

Pages: 1 2

Sense Hat - ygageot - 2017-05-19

Previously I had an IMU with gyro+magneto+accelero+pressure+temp working well but difficult to fix in the case.

With a lot of curiosity, I just bought an SENSE HAT.

I has the same possibility as my previous IMU and is also supported.

Well.

But this hat has also a 8x8 LED color matrix and a micro-joystick !!!

I am brainstorming a little bit before developing some OP Tools to use it on a boat.

Examples :
  • digital clock
  • count down for departure with sync
  • micro historical graphic of pressure
  • GPS precision
  • Number of AIS targets
  • Global indicators to see rapidly if all the sensors of the configuration are working well
  • Radio set with RTLSDR
  • Tide graphic 
  • Arrows right/left for optimum TWA
I imagine also the possibility to swap between several display modules with joystick

In my configuration the OP RPI3 is hidden but if I found a "killer sense hat app" I can add a second one.

If you are interested, I can develop !

Help me !!

RE: Sense Hat - abarrow - 2017-05-21

I think the interesting challenge here is going to be placement of the PI with the sense hat. Others have reported that their magnetometers were pretty sensitive to nearby metal objects, pretty much the same as the issues you have in installing a conventional compass. So, that said, where would you put a separate PI in a place that had minimal metal nearby, but also in a position where the LED display is obvious? One thought might be on your cabin roof, so you basically look up at it.

So, in that case, what about an arrow that points to the nearest AIS target?

RE: Sense Hat - tocan - 2017-05-21

I am playing since a long time in another project with similar objects. Its not in Python. Every week approx a new gadged easy to rebuild with complete documentation. But all is in German.

My idea is to integrate it in Openplotter something as a side project.

I did not bought a hat until now because i was not clear they work with raspberry pi version 3. All are announced to work only with the 2 model.

Maybe you share yours hat you use. In sailloog shop they are not available and i do not know this way will be followed in future.

RE: Sense Hat - ddelorme - 2017-05-24

my system consistence of RP3, pico ups with a sense hat on top. I ave just installed it on my first sailboat Tanser 26. I had several issues setting this up at home due to houses are full of interference. But on the boat it is fine. The pico allows me to turn the power off to the boat then five minutes later it. shuts down the pi. Some of the previous issues with OP have been fixed with 0.11.7. I will summit pictures as soon as i complete the project.
I found that sending data to the little lcd screen on the Sense hat with node red used a lot of processor power and was not that useful. The pi would have to be seriously water proofed if i exposed it. I am now tiring to decide what to use for a display. I am leaning towards a tablet via vnc for the outside and a hdmi touch screen for the inside.

RE: Sense Hat - tocan - 2017-05-24

Great news for me because i did only test at home for the moment . Did you use the normal Pico or the Plus model?
I was scared until now because of the configuration seems not to be simple.

RE: Sense Hat/pico 3.0a plus - ddelorme - 2017-05-29

I user the pico 3 plus. this allows me to turn the power off to the boat then a few minutes later shut the pi down nicely. you have to be vary patience with Pimodules. They have a bad habit of announcing firmware update then missing it over and over. Its build quality is very poor also and i had to solder a cap back on and the terminal block is very fragile too. but for the time being it is the only one that i have found. But i would drop it in a second if someone made a viable replacement.

RE: Sense Hat - tocan - 2017-05-29

I make soon some implementation with solar power. Based on Adam Welch findings

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

RE: Sense Hat - ygageot - 2017-05-29

I tested RPiSenseHatBarometer to see the historical values of pressure.
It is amazing but not useful.
A simple bar chart can be better.

RE: Sense Hat - Sailoog - 2017-05-30

About sense hat.

All sensors are supported by OP but...
I agree, having the magnetometer so close to the raspberry and electrical components should not be good.
Calibrating the IMU plugged to the raspberry can be difficult too.
Pressure, humidity and temperature will be affected by raspberry too. And that will be worse if your enclosure is sealed because pressure will be always the inside pressure.
I have not tested anything, just thoughts...

RE: Sense Hat - Leigh - 2017-09-30

(2017-05-30, 06:34 PM)Sailoog Wrote: About sense hat.

All sensors are supported by OP but...
I agree, having the magnetometer so close to the raspberry and electrical components should not be good.
Calibrating the IMU plugged to the raspberry can be difficult too.
Pressure, humidity and temperature will be affected by raspberry too. And that will be worse if your enclosure is sealed because pressure will be always the inside pressure.
I have not tested anything, just thoughts...

Hello everyone,
I have a few RPi's and a sense hat and am just looking into OP, which seems amazing

I have used the sense hat before and to get around the heating issue I just used a ribbon cable to move it away from the Pi.
The advantage of the SH for me is that (other than I already have it) is it has all sensors on it.
Perhaps the LED could be used for an down below display of something(s) too?
I am headless with VNC on tablet, Phone or whatever.

However, I am having problems getting the temp, press, hygro, heel and pitch showing in the Dashboard, despite the fact that I know the sensors are being seen as I can see there values in the Calibrate window. (and in 0.8 the boat cursor would rotate as I rotated the Pi, although this does not happen in 0.10)

Could anyone give me a step by step from the basics way of doing this?
I saw http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=465&highlight=graph but it made absolutely no sense to me, except for perhaps I have to rename the sensors somewhere?

Thanks