OpenMarine
NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot (/showthread.php?tid=712)

Pages: 1 2

NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - CVL - 2017-08-29

Hi everybody

This summer I had OP 0.13 on the boat and tried to feed 1W temperature to MTW-sentence via the NMEA0183- Generator. This worked OK whilst doing the configuration, the MTW sentence showed up in the logs with correct values, but after a reboot it showed -273.1 as a value, which is just the conversion value from °K to °C. Tried to reconfigure several times, but never got correct values after a reboot.

So it seems that the NMA-Generator doesn't get anymore the value from 1W-Sensor after a fresh boot ???

After coming home, I updated to OP 0.14.5, same behaviour. I have to restart configuration all over (1W, SK restart, NMEA configurator, SK restart) to have correct values.
Might be the same issue as http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=706
But as it is present in 0.13 and 0.14.5 it rather seems to me being a problem with data getting from 1W to SK to NMEA Generator.

Thanks for any help
Christian

RE: NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - PaddyB - 2017-08-29

I sometimes have the same, just restarting signalk seems to fix it.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

RE: NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - Sailoog - 2017-08-29

I will check, thanks

RE: NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - Sailoog - 2017-09-13

I am not able to reproduce this issue. I always have MTW data after reboot.
Could you please disconnect all sensors and devices and left only 1W sensor?
Have you discarded bad connection or hardware malfunction?

RE: NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - Sailoog - 2017-09-15

CVL I would need more info about this. I need to close issues to go forward...

RE: NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - CVL - 2017-09-15

Thanks for diving into this issue. Unfortunately my boat is already high and dry for the winter season. 1W -sensor is on the boat and the RPi is dry and warm at home. But I can pretty much rule out bad connections as I have a connection hat on the Pi and cables are screwed correctly. Hardware malfunction is more difficult to test. As reconfiguration of the NMEA generator made things working again - without changing anything else - I tend to rule hardware issues out. But as I am unable to quickly provide you more information, I would suggest that you go forward with the new image/ version. I'll try it next sailing season.

Christian

RE: NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - Sailoog - 2017-09-15

OK, I will be watching this in case I can reproduce it or somebody reports the same. Marking as closed, reopen if necessary. thanks.

RE: NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - CVL - 2018-03-05

Hi Sailoog,

I re-opened the question as I fiddled around with this issue during winter, it turns out that it i not the NMEA-Generator itself, but rather Signal-K:

After boot, I get -273.1°C for my 1W-temp sensor - which my cockpit instrument refuses to show...
I need to restart Signal-K manually to get a correct reading of the 1W-Sensor.

As it should be a headless installation, this is not an option.

Looking at the boot sequence, it seems to me that Signal-K gets initialized first, and afterwards the 1W-bus etc. could you add a restart of Signal-K at the end of the boot sequence to integrate all the sensors added?

running now OP 17.1-stable

Thanks a lot
Christian

RE: [CLOSED] NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - SkipperEarly - 2018-03-09

I also noticed that sensor data like humidity,temperature and pressure are not transmitted automatically after restart. Once I open the NMEA183 generator and select e.g. pressure - make no changes but click ok, the data are transmitted as expected.

Maybe a - restart option of the nmea generator would help to isolate the problem further.

op 17.1

RE: [CLOSED] NMEA 0183 generated sentences not persistent over reboot - CVL - 2018-03-10

(2018-03-09, 04:53 PM)SkipperEarly Wrote: I also noticed that sensor data like humidity,temperature and pressure are not transmitted automatically after restart. Once I open the NMEA183 generator and select e.g. pressure - make no changes but click ok, the data are transmitted as expected.

Maybe a - restart option of the nmea generator would help to isolate the problem further.

op 17.1

I believe that SignalK is restarted when you press OK on the NMEA-Generator tab. Could you try if just restarting SignalK (e.g. on the SignalK tab) does the trick?

fair winds
Christian