This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*newbie* /dev/root full after 24hrs
HI ! 

Now get the same problem with NOOBS installation and running for 24 + hours . No reboot helps and can't logon via VNC. Remote access with ssh works. RPi 3, OP V1
The only odd thing I can think of is that I configured a serial CAN in the boat, took home the RPi and it was "red" , not connected, in "serial" ?? 

$ df -h

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       6.1G  5.8G     0 100% /
devtmpfs        460M     0  460M   0% /dev
and so on.....

Blog; https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/
Another nice command to see the size of directories:

Code:
sudo ncdu -x /
It could take some time. 
To exit, ctrol+c
That does not sound well. anyone else with this problem?
Please try to identify the big files/directory and its content. Maybe a log file?
I've had the pi turned on all the night and something strange has occurred.

suddenly, the size has increased in 2 Gb. Those Gb appear to be in /home/pi/.cache/lxsession/LXDE-pi. In this directory there is only a file: run.log but I cannot open because its size.
After that moment I am logging the biggest files too.

You can see the log in Link to the log
Thanks otoio! that is a start. We need to know what is on that file and what is causing such writing loop.

Yannick, MatsA, could you confirme that big file on your systems?

Moving this thread to bugs forum
More info about that file: /home/pi/.cache/lxsession/LXDE-pi/run.log

Its contents is "accept failed for connection to signalk: Too many open files", repeated in a lot of lines. I can not see how many they are, because I can see its contents only in a terminal. When I try to see in a text editor, the system freezes.

The last sentence is cut so I suppose that in that moment the file has become corrupted or something like that.
More information about this matter and about that file although I don't know if it could be very important...

If we reboot the rapsberry the file will be deleted or at least it will have a normal size.
After starting up, this file has 15 Kb and its size increase, more or less in 2-3 Kb per hour, until its size increased up to 2 gb, of course.

Be happy  Wink
Thanks, we could limit the allowed size of this log file or even prevent to write on it but we should try to find the loop that is creating such amount of messages.
We should wait for some feedback from other users suffering this issue to confirm.
(2018-06-11, 06:34 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Thanks, we could limit the allowed size of this log file or even prevent to write on it but we should try to find the loop that is creating such amount of messages.
We should wait for some feedback from other users suffering this issue to confirm.

Actually I think that it should be another problem, because my system doesn't freeze. That file increases its size suddenly but only once. After become giant file, it doesn't change any more. Symptoms aren't equal.

I've updated the link for the log I've make: Link to the log.

If somebody wants to do a similar log, in order to investigate what is happening with your system, here is the code I've used in a bash script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Test program to know OpenPlotter partition's size along the time
# It'll obtain the /dev/root/ directory's size each 1 hour
# To Stop it: kill or Ctrol+c

while true; do
echo ------------------------- >> size_test.txt
date  >> size_test.txt
echo "df -h " >> size_test.txt
df -h >> size_test.txt
echo  "sudo du -xh / "'| grep -P "G\\t"' >> size_test.txt
sudo du -xh / | grep -P "G\t" >> size_test.txt
echo ------------------------- >> size_test.txt
echo "For stopping it, Ctrol+c"
sleep 3600
done

How to use:
  1. In raspberry (in a new installation, e.g.) make a new file in your home (/home/pi): Right button of the mouse and choose "Create new" --> 'Empty file'. Give it this name: SizeTest.sh
  2. Open the new file and paste the code which is above and close it, keeping changes.
  3. Right button on the new file, choose 'Properties' and in the tab 'Permissions' choose 'Anyone' for 'Execute' and click in Ok.
  4. Open a terminal (Menu Raspy --> Accessories --> Terminal) and write:
    Code:
    sh SizeTest.sh

5. It will create a new file "size_test.txt" in your home (/home/pi) logging the size of directories at each hour until press Ctrol+c in the Terminal. While it's running you can use the Raspberry, but not close Terminal.
  6. If the system freezes and collapses, that file can give you some tracks.
Good luck
I had the same problem run.log "accept failed for connection to signalk: Too many open files"
I think it has to do with kplex.
If I attach a gps to kplex it needs 8 open files all the time.
If I now disconnect the gps and reboot. Every half minute it adds 1 open file untill the limit of the linux system is reached. Then SignalK fires errors until the disk is full.
To test it: Find the pid of kplex
"ps aux | grep kplex"
print out the counted open files of the pid (replace pid with the process number you got from last command) with
"ls /proc/pid/fd/ | wc -l"