This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter with Navionics?
I have made some progress on this matter. After getting irregular results with other options I found a configuration that seems to work perfectly. At least it's the only one that works for me in a stable way.  Big Grin

The first thing to note is that the Rpi should only be in client mode. Using the AP/client mode gave me irregular behavior. The AP function is done by my Android phone that connects to the Internet through the 4G provider. Seems that Navionics requires an Internet connection, at least at the outset, or otherwise it does not goes on.

Now we connect OPlotter to our phone AP and find out which IP is assigned to the Rpi, in my case 192.168.43.91. This tells us the IP range we need. To know which IP has assigned our phone to the Rpi is enough with i to the network tab again after connecting to our telephone AP, on the right side, under addresses we will see the assigned IP.

Now we'll go to the kplex tab and create a new network UDP type, named navionics , address... We'll enter the first three digits of the range, in my case 192.168.43 (yours will almost certainly vary) and the last one should be 255. We'll be left with x.x.x.x.255, in my case 192.168.43.255. Finally we indicate the port 2000 and that direcction is out. We apply the changes and should be able to connect. We'll know because we'll see the depth data on the navionics main screen.

[Image: IMG_20180820_144824.jpg]

I have another phone on the outside also with navionics and after connecting it to the same navionics AP it has detected the connection and it works out of the box.  Smile

Important detail. Navionics receives depth and GPS data so I have been able to disable the internal GPS of the phones and navigate using OPlotter's GPS. It saves battery and could be a solution for those users of Ipad wifi that unfortunately do not have internal GPS. I haven't tried it but it might work for you.

I have also tried on a laptop with Ubuntu running OpenCpn and creating a UDP-type connection address 0.0.0.0.0 and port 2000 works perfectly.

[Image: Captura_de_pantalla_de_2018-08-20_14-45-31.png]
Why are sailors more daring than other men?
Because: No man is so often afraid
like the sailors.

"Of the questions of the seafaring world", in
The Tree of Science, Ramon Llull
It should work with OP 1.2.0 and navionics 11.1 ?

Following pinguino’s how to, I can’t connect ...

Tnks

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
Navionics seems to have just released support on the iOS app for AIS overlay.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/features/ais

I have tried to some of the suggestions but it doesn't seem to pick up the UDP traffic on port 2000. Navionic provides very little explanation of how this works. Response from their support e-mail doesn't seem to be helpful either. Anyone else try this?

Thanks in advance.
It is true that on openplotter 1.2 does not work with stability. sometimes it connects well but most of the time it does not. I was forced to open opencpn on the phone and forward the data from it back to port 2000. This way it was infallible.

Now that I'm testing openplotter 2.0 on a Rpi 4 I can confirm that I'm working correctly 100% of the time. So I hope openplotter 2.0 works ok.

Regarding the AIS I have not yet been able to confirm if it works.
like the sailors.

(2019-07-17, 08:19 AM)pinguino Wrote: It is true that on openplotter 1.2 does not work with stability. sometimes it connects well but most of the time it does not. I was forced to open opencpn on the phone and forward the data from it back to port 2000. This way it was infallible.

Now that I'm testing openplotter 2.0 on a Rpi 4 I can confirm that I'm working correctly 100% of the time. So I hope openplotter 2.0 works ok.

Regarding the AIS I have not yet been able to confirm if it works.
Where have you got the Openplotter 2 image from? Is it downloadable from anywhere?
"Where have you got the Openplotter 2 image from? Is it downloadable from anywhere?"
NO

i have tested it changing the repo in the update config.
/home/pi/.openplotter/openplotter.conf

[UPDATE]
master_github_repositories = openplotter
beta_github_repositories = sailoog
stable_branch = master
beta_branch = beta                   
**WARNING ** //.......change beta to v2.x.x @ your own RISK....some things are now configured  for BUSTER  if you break it don't ask for help..  **WARNING **

best practice is to back up first..
(2019-07-17, 11:23 AM)jim321 Wrote: "Where have you got the Openplotter 2 image from? Is it downloadable from anywhere?"
NO

[UPDATE]
stable_branch = master
beta_branch = beta                   
**WARNING ** //.......change beta to v2.x.x @ your own RISK....some things are now configured  for BUSTER  if you break it don't ask for help..  **WARNING **

Got it, thanks Jim, I will give it a try.

(2019-07-17, 11:59 AM)lcseh Wrote:
(2019-07-17, 11:23 AM)jim321 Wrote: "Where have you got the Openplotter 2 image from? Is it downloadable from anywhere?"
NO

[UPDATE]
stable_branch = master
beta_branch = beta                   

Got it, thanks Jim, I will give it a try.

I opened the file, and to my surprise it already contains the very same settings you pasted above. Yet if I am trying to update it, it says I am running the latest 1.2.0

[GENERAL]
version = 1.2.0
state = alpha
lang = en
op_folder = /home/pi/.config/openplotter
sk_folder = /usr/lib/node_modules/signalk-server

[UPDATE]
stable_branch = master
beta_branch = beta
(2019-07-17, 09:37 AM)lcseh Wrote: Where have you got the Openplotter 2 image from? Is it downloadable from anywhere?

Nope for now there is no OP 2.0 image to download. The changes compared to the previous version -1.2- are many, and to top it off the arrival of the Rpi 4 has been an extra effort that is delaying further release.

I acquired one of the new rpi 4 with 2 GB of RAM and discovered that openplotter 1.2 doesn't work with it. That's why I had to build from scratch the version for Rpi 4 and therefore for all the previous ones, of OP2.0 based on Raspbian Buster since OP1.2 based on Raspbian strecth doesn't work on rpi 4.

Not all things work yet and therefore can not be released, it is too soon.
like the sailors.

(2019-07-17, 01:04 PM)pinguino Wrote:
(2019-07-17, 09:37 AM)lcseh Wrote: Where have you got the Openplotter 2 image from? Is it downloadable from anywhere?

Nope for now there is no OP 2.0 image to download. The changes compared to the previous version -1.2- are many, and to top it off the arrival of the Rpi 4 has been an extra effort that is delaying further release.

I acquired one of the new rpi 4 with 2 GB of RAM and discovered that openplotter 1.2 doesn't work with it. That's why I had to build from scratch the version for Rpi 4 and therefore for all the previous ones, of OP2.0 based on Raspbian Buster since OP1.2 based on Raspbian strecth doesn't work on rpi 4.

Not all things work yet and therefore can not be released, it is too soon.

I see, thank you for the extensive reply. I will wait then for the official release. 
I'm not sure if you're a user of IOS, Android or both.

Anyway, a small tip that I use is, in Android, to run Opencpn on the phone at the same time as navionics having previously created in opencpn a network type output connection with address 10.10.10.255 and port 2000.

Then we let run in the opencpn background and we return to Navionics and soon we will see that he gets the data forwarded from opencpn -on the same phone- and that shows them in navionics. In my case position and depth. I guess the AIS ones too.
like the sailors.