This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Alive!
Nice.

I'm really hoping that Santa brings me one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/WIMAXIT-Portable-...30&sr=8-28
(2018-07-14, 05:27 PM)jim321 Wrote: i just started to updated my sys too..
a friends dell monitor was toast i got it for free, i got a new driver board and mounted everything in the 19'' monitor.ill post an update when i get it finished .

My display config is:
Old 15" SVGA 12v monitor directly attach to Pi HDMI and mounted at Nav station. 
ASUS 7" tablet mounted at Nav station and running Node-Red dashboard as instrumentation display over WiFi
Daylight readable Panasonic Toughpad tablet running VNC facsimile of chart table display over WiFi as a cockpit repeater 

Im very happy with the setup especially the little 7"tablet dedicated to instrumentation - it looks very neat

Bigest problem is keeping power consumption down
Very nice!

I've been toying with the idea of using a Kindle as a System K dashboard. You can buy them on eBay for around $50.

How's the Asus for sunlight readability?
(2018-07-15, 01:27 PM)abarrow Wrote: Very nice!

I've been toying with the idea of using a Kindle as a System K dashboard. You can buy them on eBay for around $50.

The ASUS is useless in sunlight. I use it down below at the Nav station.
The (old) Panasonic works reasonably well in the cockpit when under the sprayhood
Hello,

I have been implementing a bright LED matrix (+Raspberry Pi Zero W) functioning as a repeater.
It is mounted below deck at the mast support and readable at the steer at about 8m. distance.
A short video and some explanation here: http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=1107

My Hardware specs:
•Intel NUC running OpenCPN + ASUS 15.6" USB-powered display
•Raspberry Pi 3B with OpenPlotter v1.1
•Raspberry Pi Zero W + bright LED matrix (Raspbian/Node-red/MQTT)
•Mini router converted to remote control for Raspberry Pi Zero W (OpenWRT/MQTT)
•ESP8266 unit + DS18B20 temperature sensor(s) (ESP Easy sends to Raspberry Pi Zero W)
•Simrad Broadband Radar BR24 (over UTP to Intel NUC)
(2018-07-15, 01:27 PM)abarrow Wrote: Very nice!

My Kindle upgraded itself to current firmware when I wasn't paying attention, and suddenly the Experimental Browser is extremely unresponsive updating instrument data. As always I had changed other things in my setup concurrent with this, but hopefully tomorrow night I will test it against a config that worked reasonably well and won't have changed.

Another direction may be to use a Nook reader, which can be rooted so Android apps can be installed. But I have not tried this.
Yeah, mine came with firmware that wasn't able to be rooted. I did read that if you are feeling brave you can open up your kindle and connect to the JTAG inside, which will allow you to make the appropriate file changes to root it. I'm not sure what that'll do to the experimental browser, but at least you can go full screen.

My experiment with ePaper from Aliexpress was a bust - it appears that the module I got was DOA. It'll be a while before I have the time to get another and resume experiments. The 4x20 LCD I was experimenting with is working fine, but as with a lot of this stuff, finding an adequate enclosure or even bezel for it is a challenge. I think there may be a 3D printer in my future!
Good news for the Kindle is it seems to still work fine with my older Openplotter setup, so the problem would seem to be due to code changes I made. I made the fonts larger and combined speed and heading together on one page (as I don't we don't have wind and depth on the race boat.) It's looking pretty good except for the huge latency issue I induced.
(2018-07-10, 12:44 PM)abarrow Wrote: Another thing I learned while I had the 3B+ working - power is really a problem! The little 3A buck converter I was using came out and I replaced it with a 10A unit.

Looks Great!!!

May I ask what 10a power supply did you use?

Thanks
Here's the converter

https://www.amazon.com/BINZET-Converter-...MHTYG?th=1