This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tethering iphone on 3+ running Alpha 1.2
Hi folks

I've been running a Pi3 on my boat as ( amongst other things!) an AP, sharing atethered iphone connection, and its great

just trying to set up my new 3+ and cannot get the Pi to connect to the phone, via usb

i set up my iphone as before with Personal hotspot via Usb Only, but when i plug the iphone usb into the pi nothing happens.
well it tries to look at files on the iphone but even that doesnt work!

on the Pi3 the iphone asks me to 'Trust' the Pi, then it shares the internet connection.

i CAN share the pi3+ eth0 internet connection via the Pi Wifi, just by changing the default network 'shareable' from Wlan to eth0

so... how do i connect the iphone as a personal hotspot via usb to a Pi3+ running 1.2Alpha , and then share the connection by wifi??
We changed the usb network settings in V1.2 for android tethering to a fixed gateway and a fixed ip (sorry).
file dhcpcd.conf lines

interface usb0
static ip_address=192.168.42.100/24
static routers=192.168.42.129
metric 400

If Apple usb tethering does use the same gateway ip everytime. We can make a setup for it.

Android:
With V1.2 you can enable usb tethering and connect realvnc on ip 192.168.42.100 (and use android as wifi adapter or gprs to connect to the internet). Smile
Thanks for the reply, not sure i understand it!

You seem to be saying 1.2 has been configured for Android at the expense of Iphone?

Is there any way around this or should i go back to 1.0 for the new 3b+??

Steve
If you want to use the iphone to connect to the internet plug in the usb port. On the iphone activate personal hotspot under settings.
On the pi install: "sudo apt-get install usbmuxd" (only one time)
To test if the connection works enter "ifconfig". It should show you all connections. There should be eth1 with 172.20.10.3 .
If you have installed vnc viewer on the iphone you can connect to 172.20.10.3 and remote control openplotter (work headless).
You can share the wifi-internet connection of the iphone or you can share gsm internet connection.
Hi all

Got back to this after some time away from the Pi!

Once i updated hostapd to the correct version for the 3b+ and installed usbmuxd as suggested above all is working !

Thanks guys

Steve