This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with losing connection on USB0
I have tried to understand why, when starting OpenCPN, I have lost the AIS connected on /dev/tty/USB0 38400.
First I thought that adding a delay in starting the services in OpenPlotter, set it to 20 sec, would help but after doing several test I still have this problem.
If I delete the connection in OpenCPN and make a new equal connection it works with no problem.
Running latest version of OpenCPN and OpenPlotter on a Raspberry 3B+.
//Gunnar
Br Gunnar
SK6PS Winlinknod
www.o-vader.se
www.jrsk.org

(2018-10-04, 04:52 PM)vagspel Wrote: I have tried to understand why, when starting OpenCPN, I have lost the AIS connected on /dev/tty/USB0 38400.
First I thought that adding a delay in starting the services in OpenPlotter, set it to 20 sec, would help but after doing several test I still have this problem.
If I delete the connection in OpenCPN and make a new equal connection it works with no problem.
Running latest version of OpenCPN and OpenPlotter on a Raspberry 3B+.
//Gunnar

Is it connected in the serial tab?  

You shouldn't need to touch the connections in opencpn, kplex/signalk does all that.

[Image: Ls6UaBH.png]
you only need the tcp :10110 connection in openCPN then the ais should work, like paddyB said kplex/signalk sends it to opencpn
mine does not even show up in openplotters serial tab
(2018-10-04, 08:02 PM)jim321 Wrote: you only need the tcp :10110 connection in openCPN then the ais should work, like paddyB said kplex/signalk sends it to opencpn
mine does not even show up in openplotters serial tab

I have in Serial:
ais /dev/tty/USB0
In Kplex:
system UDP in 10110
signalK TCP out 30330
ais Serial in ttyOP_ais
shipin TCP in (my ais server) portxxxx
shipout TCP out localhost 10114

What I do is taking a local ais receiver on USB0
Also I get info from my AIS server and I am sending that via the AP to be able to connect from a tablet.
Complicated!? I am on Skype then I could explain better. Can give my Skypename via PM.
//Gunnar
Br Gunnar
SK6PS Winlinknod
www.o-vader.se
www.jrsk.org

(2018-10-04, 08:12 PM)vagspel Wrote:
I have in Serial:
ais /dev/tty/USB0
In Kplex:
system UDP in 10110
signalK TCP out 30330
ais Serial in ttyOP_ais

Also I get info from my AIS server and I am sending that via the AP to be able to connect from a tablet.
Complicated!? I am on Skype then I could explain better. Can give my Skypename via PM.
//Gunnar

Don't quite understand why you have the last 2 entries in Kplex? Do you have 2 x AIS recievers? Tablet should be able to connect to tcp on 10.10.10.1 port 10110 same as opencpn if the tablet is connected to the Openplotter access point, then all NMEA data gets sent to that from Kplex/Signalk. 

Where do  you see that the serial connection has been lost?
(2018-10-05, 10:26 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2018-10-04, 08:12 PM)vagspel Wrote:
I have in Serial:
ais /dev/tty/USB0
In Kplex:
system UDP in 10110
signalK TCP out 30330
ais Serial in ttyOP_ais

//Gunnar

Don't quite understand why you have the last 2 entries in Kplex? Do you have 2 x AIS recievers? Tablet should be able to connect to tcp on 10.10.10.1 port 10110 same as opencpn if the tablet is connected to the Openplotter access point, then all NMEA data gets sent to that from Kplex/Signalk. 

Where do  you see that the serial connection has been lost?
Hi PaddyB
The last two are connections to our AIS server. Easier to use that when I am out showing OpenCPN to our sailing community www.jrsk.org.
On all our AIS station we have a RP with Kplex that is sending the data to our server and then send it on to for example MT and VF.
This is one station: http://stations.vesselfinder.com/stations/5125
The serial connection is lost when I restart PI and the start Opcn, no data is coming in but data is sent via the AP.
If I delete the USB0 and enable it again it works. Sometimes restarting Ocpn helps but not every time. I think that the problem is not in OP but Ocpn!?
I am using the serial connection for a local AIS that I have at home. Gives better info on the result when changing receivers or antennas :-)
Br Gunnar
SK6PS Winlinknod
www.o-vader.se
www.jrsk.org

(2018-10-05, 10:54 AM)vagspel Wrote: Hi PaddyB
The last two are connections to our AIS server. Easier to use that when I am out showing OpenCPN to our sailing community www.jrsk.org.
On all our AIS station we have a RP with Kplex that is sending the data to our server and then send it on to for example MT and VF.
The serial connection is lost when I restart PI and the start Opcn, no data is coming in but data is sent via the AP.
If I delete the USB0 and enable it again it works. Sometimes restarting Ocpn helps but not every time. I think that the problem is not in OP but Ocpn!?
I am using the serial connection for a local AIS that I have at home. Gives better info on the result when changing receivers or antennas :-)

Nice site  Cool
Did you know signalk has an app to send position to marinetraffic? (Though a very quick play I couldn't get it to work...)

Not sure I can help much with the serial connection - when it shows no data in OCPN is there anything coming in the diagnostic window in the Kplex tab?
(2018-10-05, 11:38 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2018-10-05, 10:54 AM)vagspel Wrote: Hi PaddyB

Nice site  Cool
Did you know signalk has an app to send position to marinetraffic? (Though a very quick play I couldn't get it to work...)

Not sure I can help much with the serial connection - when it shows no data in OCPN is there anything coming in the diagnostic window in the Kplex tab?
Thanks!
I have not checked the Kplex diagnostic, will do asap.
Will try the app but the setup that we have is working very nice. Why change a working concept :-)
Br Gunnar
SK6PS Winlinknod
www.o-vader.se
www.jrsk.org