This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imu.compass vs GPS Compass
When I look at my boat graphic in OpenCPN it is constantly spinning, When I look at the instruments in OpenCPN (GPS Compass) it is varying all over. Looking at Signal K, this could be navigation.courseOverGroundTrue - which varies all over the place in SignalK. The  Imu based IMU.compass (navigation.headingMagnetic?) seems to be stable to the second decimal place when I look in both Pypilot and SignalK. I am currently on land, will this correct itself once I get sailing or should I be looking at the IMU data In OpenCPN?
As I'm sure you know, your position and heading with GPS varies continuously when you are sitting still. I've been troubleshooting another GPS-related problem while sitting at home, and turned tracking on OpenCPN, the track is all over the place, within less than .01 Nm. It's just position drift from your GPS. GPS can't do course without movement - it uses the last two position reports to estimate course. Speed is estimated using either differential between position reports or Doppler shift. So yes, it will sort itself out when you get on the water.
It makes sense.  I did turn on some other sentences in SignalK to NMEA0183 plugin and then OpenCPN seemed to use this for the own vessel graphic and showed the extension to show direction (see pic).  this seems to be very stable

Attached Files Image(s)