This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install additional nodes
(2017-05-15, 05:59 PM)snowboarder Wrote:
(2017-05-15, 10:51 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: have tried above but unsuccessfully. Renaming or removing of
/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-freeboard/.git
is not possible/allowed.

Have updated to op 11.5 but no change.

Any other advise?

Start pcmanfm from a terminal window.

" Sudo pcmanfm "

Then I removed the .git directory

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I had the same problem so I removed the .git directory & now I cannot open Node red in a browser - localhost refuses to connect

I also came across this message when I was trying to solve the problem: no such file or directory, open /home/pi/packages.json

I have also upgraded  -
Code:
update-nodejs-and-nodered

I have the latest update on Pi3

Any ideas?????????
This really seems to be coming from the freeboard node. I installed Node-RED on my Linux Mint machine and it seems to run fine, but when I try to install node-red-contrib-freeboard the install fails. When I move the .git directory out of node-red-contrib-freeboard my Node-RED stops working (when I move it back, it starts working again).

I can't install anything new right now, and even the freeboard node isn't showing in my pallet. I tried installing node-red-admin and removing freeboard from the command line, but that fails too.
Okay, removing the .git file in node-red-contrib-freeboard broke node-RED completely for me.

This workaround allowed me to install node-red-node-arduino. You'll have to do this from the command line, as node-RED (on OpenPlotter) doesn't start if node-red-contrib-freeboard is not there. Basically you are moving node-red-contrib-freeboard temporarily out of the way, changing ownership of the contents of the .bin folder, installing the new node, and then moving node-red-contrib-freeboard back:

Code:
mkdir /home/pi/freeback
mv /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-freeboard /home/pi/freeback/
sudo chown -R pi:pi /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/.bin/
cd /home/pi/.node-red
npm i --unsafe-perm node-red-node-arduino
mv /home/pi/freeback/node-red-contrib-freeboard /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/
sudo reboot

I'm not sure if chown-ing the contents of .bin is actually necessary - it might be possible to run npm with sudo. I also don't know the consequences of the items in .bin being owned by pi rather than root. Just saying this appears to have worked for me.

I'm testing the result now, so I can't guarantee this won't break your system. It can see the arduino nodes in my node-RED editor now.

This was done on my test system. I'm going to play with it a little before I move it to my live system.
Just an update on this - it appears that this work-around has worked fine. I've tested a few flows and they work fine. I also tested the arduino node with an attached arduino uno, and it also works fine. It's all on my live OpenPlotter now.
Thank you for figuring this out !
Thumbs Up 
(2017-07-08, 02:03 PM)abarrow Wrote: Just an update on this - it appears that this work-around has worked fine. I've tested a few flows and they work fine. I also tested the arduino node with an attached arduino uno, and it also works fine. It's all on my live OpenPlotter now.

Thanks i almost gave up trying to install the arduino nodes..
(2017-07-08, 02:03 PM)abarrow Wrote: Just an update on this - it appears that this work-around has worked fine. I've tested a few flows and they work fine. I also tested the arduino node with an attached arduino uno, and it also works fine. It's all on my live OpenPlotter now.

Thanks for this Smile

I had to do a complete new install (on a bigger card), because I lost the.git folder, & was hoping it would all work with v12 but still didn't. I will try this next week-end. I want a couple of extra nodes so I will just alter the text to suit.
I'm afraid the work-around didn't work for me!!

I then tried moving the suspect .git folder while I installed the nodes I wanted & then moved it back. Worked great until a reboot Sad

I've just finished a fresh new install again & all working good again - except that I cannot install the nodes I need to run a couple of flows.

I think I'll just wait til this problem is sorted!! Surly there must be others who run OP on a Pi3 & need the rpi nodes in particular the rpi-gpio & node-red-contrib-ds18b20-sensor nodes.
Why do you need to use a ds18b20 node-red node when OpenPlotter directly supports one wire ?
I assign signalK names to my one-wire sensors and then work with those names in node red. Node red couldn't care less that they are temp sensors.

Oh, same thing re gpio although I have not used those yet.
Just moving the .git folder won't work. Have a look at the instructions again.

Sent from my LG-K580 using Tapatalk