This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Poll: Do you want qtVlm integrated into OpenPlotter?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
57.14%
20 57.14%
No
42.86%
15 42.86%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Integrate qtVlm on OpenPlotter
(2017-10-10, 11:31 AM)bmayer Wrote:
(2017-10-09, 09:02 PM)Luckbert Wrote: I think we have integrated a good software with OpenCPN and zyGrip. The charts of OpenCpn are great and cheap.
I see no need for new plotter software.

Hello
Apologize me for my poor english.
qtvlm is not just a plotter. Its the better weather tools what i know. it can superpose grib , merge grib, ...
its a greater tool for build a weather decision for sailing.
ra
Its not gpl and open source this is the fact....they can offer a script for integration after open plotter installation but i would not be happy to see it integrate  official to openplotter.

An Api can be rewritten from scratch. Why the hack exists signal k? and can boat....? 

Wouldn' rise up to go much deep in discussion. But such ideas are very dangerous for all the work that is done since years. 

Was a similar discussion here with Gemeinschaft3 and was just one file the installation script what was not gpl licenced. It was CC-BY-NC licenced means non commercial use only .. was enouth to drop the comlete suite.
https://pbxinaflash.com/community/thread...rns.16283/

Finaly Openplotter is still alpha or very early beta... and because a problem you like to drop all work?
What you would like to say if raspberian suddenly needs to be paid by a monthly fee because of the use of a closed source part?

I do not see anyreason to be integrate complete. Its gpl. They can do a integration to openplotter and manage it... such is like a complete forge of the openplotter code.

If they wish compatible with GPL than they can try to find another solution...

Openplotter and signal k with canboat is a chance because of better design that the NMea Consortium move in parts... Would you like for a moments better solution of closed source code to push yours knife in the back of Signal k and canboat?

In general it apears sexy that they use mbtiles charts for routing and this is in my opinion the biggest desaster of opencpn.

But this is the main problem of the Opencpn developers to integrade such. my thinking was ok i install at a later point a solution additional that works with mbtiles... something like the grade project....

http://kap.grade.de/inland-chart-ol2.html

http://routino.grade.de/index.html
Just to clarify:

Tocan is absolutely wrong. qtVlm could coexist with openplotter license if we decide that.

The only problem here is ethical not legal.

OpenPlotter is open-source and always will be.

qtVlm is not commercial, it is free but it is not open-source.

OpenPlotter will never pay or receive royalties from anybody.
I can get the  ethical problem and i agree with this point of view.
But i an other hand do we have an open source alternative for qtvlm ? i seems not, so i'd like to see qtvlm in the openplotter distrib.

i like this compromise :
Qtvlm is not installed by default, a complemantary menu with the folowings options :
- install Qtvlm
- update Qtvlm

I vote yes
I think its final decidet. Maybee for solution. To manage openplotter in that way in future that you can build yours suite. But this needs a better documentation how to pack things together and how to let them out. In case you like to pack it as deb file to integrade it official into the sources at the moment anyways there is no way to go. For example if you give it an official debian packager in the hands there will be a lot of works to sort the things out.

Anyways you are the maintainer and if i look through github there are also still depend to ais things where copyright is not clear to me... Things are used or not....

I still beleave for openplotter there is a need of a pluginsystem for such cases. also a seperate developer documentation from the user documentation... I think at least Openplotter gets less sexy if the opensource way is left. My point and this is absolute out of discussion is not the comercial or free available code... the discussion is to make also with this peace of software comercial versions... thats not important. For me its aquestion to have open sourced. and make a politcal statement against Nmea 2000 consortium... seems their strategy rolls on from the back to capture or include their standards inside code and to eat at least for free the things they do not have. We have a weather report and its a question to push OpenCPN to make MBtiles possible...

Others do similar they have a base and such things are add ons or plugins what you can install. Basic its enough to install Signal K and to put the rest inside.As long you use openplotter headless its just a question to run things like Wilhelm SK or freie Tonne the same time. I did bought an airmar triducer to participate and give something back to Openseamap and not to support the big players of the NMEA Consortium to sample for free Data for them. Another solution can be to provide 2 different versions of openplotter.

(2017-10-10, 04:11 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Just to clarify:

Tocan is absolutely wrong. qtVlm could coexist with openplotter license if we decide that.

The only problem here is ethical not legal.

OpenPlotter is open-source and always will be.

qtVlm is not commercial, it is free but it is not open-source.

OpenPlotter will never pay or receive royalties from anybody.

Do not mix open source with payment pleace... Fact is Opensource must not be free... Sourcecode must be open... more important that closed source will touch the freedom and can sample data from my boat and i can not do anything.. the business model are the data and this is not in control with closed source...

GPL guarantee also commercial use not any problem... Remember the arguments of the can boat developer or the signal k team. Why they start to develope their software. You can install their system ... ask why they wish... ask why you wish... The summer was allways the discusion in the git about the weather at least if i realy have a problem with our solution now i install their system may in worst case on a second raspberry pi...
I have complete confidence in Maitai, QtVlm main developer. He and his team have done a world-class job, already offered free to a huge sailing community. They have been active and responsive on US and French forums, instantly correcting bugs a soon as reported, and tirelessly answering querries from non-geek users.
So mine is a hearty YES...
(2017-10-10, 08:37 PM)Pytheas Wrote: I have complete confidence in Maitai, QtVlm main developer. He and his team have done a world-class job, already offered free to a huge sailing community. They have been active and responsive on US and French forums, instantly correcting bugs a soon as reported, and tirelessly answering querries from non-geek users.
So mine is a hearty YES...

Why Maitai comes not here inside the Forum and explains the advantages of his wish of integration? There are also the possibilities that its integrate from scratch or to make it easy to integrate it if the user wish and need it. He also can explain best their decition to use a cosed source api... maybee from this point of view its better to choose other projects that are more close to their philisophy. maybee they can focus first their energy to develope a api that works the same and is opensource... that can be a good start...

See in direct response... its no question someone is beautiful and nice or have good manners and put energy inside their work.I would not like to see in the news the headline that openplotter give up their opensource policy and integrate tools in their base opensource is not able in time to develope such by themselve.

In fact the questions is only to stay with open source or to leave that way.... in fact in earlier times drivers for wifi in linux also was not open source and there was allways a possibility to implement the proprietary drivers to get it run. Meanwhile drivers are build and made by opensource developers. and the routers perform better.

In 5GHz the companies close again their sources and in fact the community in Openwrt let their fingers away from this. I think with a no we have the better chance that with time we get better solutions opensourced. Not now maybee but in future...

Additional (ok i am not a sailor) big parts you can manage without any software. Shure i have my advantages with mbtiles charts because for me personal they make realy sense and opencpn do not support them. But i still say no. to non opensource integration... for me its so that the official enc charts are not enough and its better for me to use mbtiles for rivers in europe. 

My argument is now. Why start since years a developement and improve it step by step and integrate opensource that its now necessary to run and start to integrate proprietary solutions that are closed source...
Stick to your ideals. From my point of view that works best - in general.
Everyone who likes any kind of software besides the one you deliver can easily get it by themself.
Don't blow openplotter out of proportion.
You really got something special with openplotter and I bet many developers would join in a sort of freeloading way.
In my humble opinion open source is the future. Keep up your great work and hang on to your code of conduct.

just my two cents
I realy would prefer to keep OP lean, easy to updsate, and stable.

I really love it, but IMHO its functionality grows much faster then its stability and documentation.

And this is, what might actually limits the number of users, who are able to implement it on their boats.

Sure, everyone has other preferences for usage. For me, the most important and amazing thing is to have a small, headless, low consumting device, that manages all the ship data, remote or local.

For navigational purposes i always use other devices like Laptops, tablets, which gets the data from OP, and OP is the only always-on-device on the boat, even if im aboard or ashore.

So, for me, its more important to have OP as a relyable, stable data-server. And all that other things (heating control, smart home, surveileance cam,...) is different on every boat and needs to be implemented individually. This is why i dont ask for Phillips-HUE iplementation or serial Planar Heating Control... Big Grin
You can laugh about me. I try to support Open plotter with things I am able to do and my style is not just to download and consuming. I have a hue and I see such things as a simple add on for my personal needs. Shure you point things that you are missing like documentation... Stay and consume in that time I did make intros that kan be used for me to show parts of open plotter.

In things I need help like step by step video tutorials for see just some that have a laughter for my tries. Who like it as a little help it's OK. .. Who like it not or think he can make better ones welcome...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
Tocan it seems to me that you have published this post on the wrong thread, could be?