This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter Charts slow on Raspberry Pi 4
So I removed OpenCPN, rebooted, ran an update on the system, installed OpenCPN from repo.

First run was with the old config files still in place. Same result. htop shows OpenCPN running one core to 100%. That was just from clicking on the "Tools" menu item in the menu bar. Took 13 seconds to load the menu that drops down. Very repeatable, 12-13s to load the menu after clicking on the item in the menu (although once it took 37s).

I removed the old configs and forced the install to build new. Then I downloaded the NOAA raster charts of the same region and started with those. Quick as lightning with only raster charts installed. Added back in the S-57 ENCs. Molasses. Created a couple of chart groups, one for RNCs, one for ENCs. With the raster group selected works great. With the ENC group selected same issues -  very long delays and driving one core to 100%. Switching back to RNC group can be a challenge (wait for menu [haven't tried hotkey], select) but once there it is generally much better (although not as good as removing the ENCs from the database).

So, from this observation, anything that causes significant screen draw (such as a menu taking up a fair amount of real-estate) with the S-57 charts loaded causes a great deal of computation. With raster charts showing a right-click loads the context menu before I finish clicking. With ENC showing that same right-click takes ~10s to get the context menu.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Openplotter Charts slow on Raspberry Pi 4 - by dsanduril - 2020-04-29, 07:41 PM