This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Write my own wind sensor code
Noise

I assume you are using an ADS1115 to read the wind speed and that is a good decision because the ESP32's ADC is very dirty and noisy. It will still have some noise, especially when sending data over wifi, so you'll need to take 10 or so readings and calculate the average.

Dead band

The davis anemometer uses a 20KΩ potentiometer for wind direction, when you enter the "dead zone" the potentiometer does not makes any contact and you get that random readings. To minimize this you have to add a 20KΩ resistor between pin "power" (yellow) and pin "wind direction" (green) in the picture below:

[Image: connect-arduino-to-davis-anemometer.jpg]

Doing this you will almost kill that effect. You can still have some "jump" that you can remove by software. What I do is comparing the last reading to the new one and if it is more than 10º I ignore it.

Messages In This Thread
Write my own wind sensor code - by MigGat - 2022-03-05, 09:48 AM
RE: Write my own wind sensor code - by Sailoog - 2022-03-06, 10:49 PM
RE: Write my own wind sensor code - by MigGat - 2022-03-07, 05:51 PM
RE: Write my own wind sensor code - by Sailoog - 2022-03-07, 08:08 PM
RE: Write my own wind sensor code - by MigGat - 2022-03-08, 05:35 PM
RE: Write my own wind sensor code - by MigGat - 2023-06-27, 06:48 AM
RE: Write my own wind sensor code - by ddelorme - 2023-10-06, 09:20 PM