This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning Detector
Has anyone tried to interface one of those AS3935 lightning detector devices to Open Plotter/Signal K? 

I've been using them with Arduinos but since they can communicate via SPI or I2C I don't see any reason you couldn't interface with a Raspi or even make a wireless module with an ESP32 although the libraries I have are for Arduino (Tested and 2 devices functional) and a python script for the Raspi. (I haven't tested it yet) They basically send a warning signal, number of strikes and approximate distance although they seem to try to track the distance to the storm's front edge rather than the distance of the actual strike which technically is better because that's where the closest potential for lightning would be. Max distance is 40 km or 25 miles although I've checked mine against some online lightning maps and got hits a little further than that

If not would anyone be interested in something like that? It should be easy to set it up to trigger a warning and send to a dashboard to log strikes and distance. I could document it if there is interest although I can't guarantee when exactly I'd finish it but likely before May or June

A couple of places that sell them are

http://www.playingwithfusion.com/product...hp?pdid=22   Playing With Fusion

http://www.embeddedadventures.com/as3935...-1016.html    Embedded Adventures <----- This is the one I've used

Messages In This Thread
Lightning Detector - by longjohn119 - 2018-03-07, 07:41 AM
RE: Lightning Detector - by SkipperEarly - 2018-03-07, 07:55 AM
RE: Lightning Detector - by abarrow - 2018-03-07, 05:10 PM
RE: Lightning Detector - by longjohn119 - 2018-03-08, 02:23 AM
RE: Lightning Detector - by abarrow - 2018-03-09, 05:20 AM
RE: Lightning Detector - by longjohn119 - 2018-03-08, 03:42 AM
RE: Lightning Detector - by longjohn119 - 2018-03-08, 05:14 AM
RE: Lightning Detector - by jim321 - 2018-03-09, 01:32 PM
RE: Lightning Detector - by longjohn119 - 2018-03-10, 09:41 AM