This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
Paddy,

It works!

FINALLY, we got the bI@@dy thing working!

Soo...Thanks for all your support !

To sum it up:
it was the missing linefeed in NASA's implementation of the NMEA protocol that caused all this misery. Not too impressive effort by NASA i must say.
I will engage in a discussion with them to see what they come up with. They also use the old unbalanced version of NMEA with (+), (-) and (TX)

Note that i am using a cheap Prolific chipset RS232/USB adapter without any advanced loopbacks, just three cables.

The (temporary?) solution was to use Node Red with a serial connection that i first confirmed to work and then connected to Paddy's code above which worked rather splendidly.

Next (yes i like windmills) i will try to connect my Seatalk to the system too

And then i will try to get Sailgauge to work on my Samsung Gear s3 ... keeping busy

And then ...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper - by Smartell - 2018-06-20, 11:47 PM