This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper
(2018-06-21, 10:41 AM)Smartell Wrote: Paddy...how hard can it be ?

:-)

I'm all in. You know i compensate my obvious lack of competence with a badger-like tenaciousness (is that a word?)

(Is this a new thread?)

Do we have to do it on an ESP (is that a small external processor board ?). 

Since i think that the business case is not overwhelming, we should focus on first documenting the solution based on readily available parts and then like you propose support with the Pi based protocol conversion. How different would that be compared to what is being done to convert the protocol today in the arduinos ? (Steal w pride)

handle the obvious electrical problems (voltages, inverted signals etc) w a few components and feed it to an RS422/USB. The "electrical stuff"  is simple and well documented already.

B.t.w, if there is no reaction in the google group in a month or so, i would appreciate a nudge of your friend Stripydog. I will check first w NASA though.

/Micael

New thread coming up soon, I'll have a play some night soon to see if an arduino works for seatalk, sounds like it does. An ESP8266 is like a fast arduino with wifi, great little boards - I've just got one sending signalk over wifi using this great library https://github.com/mxtommy/EspSigK/blob/...spSigK.cpp which should make it easy to send nmea from wind etc to openplotter without running in wires. 
Quick look on google doesn't come up with any 9bit serial options though so seatalk might have to be wired. As you szy the LX side is oretty easy, I just use a rs232-TTL adaptor powered with 3.3v which outputs 3.3v to the ESP.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Connecting NMEA Wind data from NASA Clipper - by PaddyB - 2018-06-21, 11:19 AM