This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General help wanted on multiplexing
(2018-09-16, 12:07 PM)Newt2u Wrote: Hi all,

first I am new to openplotter so apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I did not find any general information.

I want to have my openplotter set up to be used in two ways:

1. headless in the wheelhouse with AIS+NMEA from legacy equipment over USB

2. on a TV in the saloon for monitoring while at anchor and for general planning, in this case AIS+NMEA from legacy equipment over wifi.

My question is a general one. With multiple inputs/outputs of NMEA data is there a way to ensure you do not get data loops, where sentences go out and come back via different routes? Left unchecked this could very quickly flood the system. I say this as on my Raymarine autopilot it says any input on the NMEA input will go out over the sea talk bus "unless that data is already on the bus". I assume it keeps a table of what source/sentences it sees on the bus and matches any input with that prior to output. Does anything like this happen in openplotter?

you should only need either 1 or 2 not both if it gets data usb serial there is no need for wireless.. it can be hdmi in saloon and still be accessed as if headless vnc or send data to opencpn on android device.

Messages In This Thread
General help wanted on multiplexing - by Newt2u - 2018-09-16, 12:07 PM
RE: General help wanted on multiplexing - by jim321 - 2018-09-16, 12:55 PM