This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General help wanted on multiplexing
I still have a problem in trying to set up openplotter to avoid loops and would like some more advice.

If I understand correctly, from the data routing diagram, kplex provides a number of inputs and outputs which is the only place where filters can be applied.

I will be getting ship's legacy NMEA: depth, speed, wind, position, etc + AIS data from a Digital Yacht iAIS over a TCP connection (if I can resolve a problem) or from USB. No problem here, I do not want to filter this as I want to access all of this via TCP for navigation using an iPad/iSailor combination. I understand that this comes from the the signalk server.

I want to send just RMB sentences to the autopilot, which has an NMEA input. I have a USB to RS422 adaptor, which I have found in the serial tab. I assume I just assign this to "NMEA 0183 output", which is the serial link from the signalk server. However, there is no ability to filter in the serial out, so everything that goes to signalk goes out over the serial port, including AIS data, which may cause bandwidth problems as the input is 4800 baud. Also the autopilot will put RMB and AIS sentences out over the sea talk bus and these will come back via the iAIS link.

The only way I can see around this is to create an output from kplex for the iPad/iSailor combo and filter out everything except RMB to signalk but then I lose the ability to use all this data in OpenCPN or various web apps.

Can you tell me if my understanding is correct and if there is another way around this problem.

Messages In This Thread
General help wanted on multiplexing - by Newt2u - 2018-09-16, 12:07 PM
RE: General help wanted on multiplexing - by Newt2u - 2018-10-05, 02:09 PM