This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I send OpenCPN routes/waypoints to autopilot via Openplotter?
I'm having a bit of trouble setting up Openplotter with OpenCPN to output waypoint sentences to send to my autopilot. 

The autopilot is a Raymarine Evolution connected to an NMEA2000 network. 

I am running Openplotter on a Pi 3B+ and use the Sailoog CAN-USB stick to access the network. It seems that the NMEA2000 data received via the CAN-USB is sent to Singalk then converted to NMEA0183. Is it possible to convert to NMEA200 sentences also?

OpenCPN is run on the same machine as a test. Reading the documentation it seems that I must create a new UDP connection in OpenCPN and output the following sentences $ECRMB, $ECRMC, $ECAPB, $ECXTE. I must also set this new connection as lower priority. 

Since Openplotter and OpenCPN are sharing the same machine, the network address for this new connection should be the localhost i.e. 127.0.0.1 but what should the port be? Where should OpenCPN send this route data in order for Openplotter to then re-broadcast it across my NMEA2000 network? Does it go to Kplex, or Signalk or elsewhere?

Messages In This Thread
How do I send OpenCPN routes/waypoints to autopilot via Openplotter? - by mikedeflieslife - 2019-01-17, 07:10 PM