This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ST1000 embedded TinyPilot - Projectlog & Questions
After reading a lot about this great project and gaining some experience with Raspberry last summer we decided it was time for the next step. We had an old and broken ST1000 lying around, so converting that to PyPilot seems to be a nice project. Last weeks i have been reading and researching a lot. Deciphered some code and sketches, etc. Also made the first decisions toward the architecture I am gonna use. I would like to make a standalone pilot, so will embed al hardware in the ST1000's casing. After a lot of puzzling i think that i have puzzled out most of the connections. Resulting in this drawing:

[Image: Schematic_TinyPilot-ST1000-embedded_Shee...172037.svg]
Can someone say something about this sketch? Did I make wrong assumptions?

Still wondering how to connect the Arduino and Pi. They share the same powersource, so in theory can be directly connected. That would make USB the easiest solution, cause you don't have problems with the 3.3V vs 5V architecture. But having an opti-isolated I2C-bus seems to be nice for future additions. Especially a remote display, which I am planning to make in the future. Can anybody share how they have made an isolated I2C connection between Pi and Arduino?

Second point of interest is the Motorcontroller. A SimonK based controller seems to be the easiest solution. But they seem to be not so much up-to-the-job as their specs say. So I will probably need a 30A version for the little Mabuchi motor which maximally draws around 10A. Because I still have to manufacture some kind of print to accomodate all the stuff, maybe it's easier and more reliable to put an H-bridge on that print then? Can anybody share their H-bridge designs?

As you can see I have added a 6'th button. That's because the ST1000 has 6 buttons. Still deciding about functionality of these buttons. The display is another topic, I will start with the Nokia one because that's plug-and-play. But am hoping to use a display with the same size as the original display in the future. Probably a small O-led screen because they have good readability at small sizes.

Up next - in a few days - BOM and some pictures / practical sketches.

Hoping to have learned more about Motorcontrol, I2C-isolation and the faults in my sketches by then  Big Grin

Thanks a lot guys!

Messages In This Thread
ST1000 embedded TinyPilot - Projectlog & Questions - by FMJ - 2019-03-15, 05:57 PM