This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to increase CMA memory for OpenGL ?
I am using OpenPlotter on a Rpi3B+ with all the latest updates.
Kernal Version 4.19.30-v7+
OpenCPN V5.0
OpenPlotter is an access point for all on-board WiFi devices.

OpenGL driver with Fake KMS (real kms caused some problems with resolution if started headless).
I have the memory split set to it's lowest value since it makes no difference to the OpenGL driver.

Everything is working very well EXCEPT I get the occasional hang of the display system.

The system can run for days and then one user input like changing scale or changing to/from north/course up sometimes causes the display to hang up.
In this case the cursor still works, everything else is still running but the display is mostly frozen.
If I connect with VNC from another machine a window pops up saying a user is connected.
I can also use PUTTY to connect and view the log.
In every case there is an error from the VC4 driver stating that it can not allocate memory from CMA.

Quote:pi@openplotter:~ $ dmesg
[21965.710804] [drm:vc4_bo_create [vc4]] *ERROR* Failed to allocate from CMA:
[21965.710817] [drm]                            V3D: 176852kb BOs (345)
[21965.710821] [drm]                     V3D shader:    412kb BOs (100)
[21965.710824] [drm]                           dumb:   3088kb BOs (2)
[21965.710833] vc4_v3d 3fc00000.v3d: Failed to allocate memory for tile binning: -12. You may need to enable CMA or give it more memory.
pi@openplotter:~ $

It looks like OpenPlotter is configured with 256M of CMA memory.

I'd like to test this with a larger amount of CMA memory and see if it resolves the problem, but I am not sure how to configure that ?

There is a lot of conflicting information about this. Perhaps someone who knows can explain it to me.
Can I configure a dynamic memory split as described here:https://elinux.org/RPiconfig ?

Messages In This Thread
How to increase CMA memory for OpenGL ? - by NahanniV - 2019-04-02, 09:42 PM