This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues upgrading new install
Hello all,
Pi 3B+
OP 1.0.img
(NOOBS won’t work with my 7” touchscreen)

My initial question is why not have the newer OP and beta releases available on GitHub to download an .img files versus dealing with the nagging update processes. Would someone with a solid Pi3B+ OP1.2 .img be willing to post it somewhere others could use it?

I’m stumbling trying to upgrade a new 1.0 install, I’ve tried it six ways to Sunday and no matter the technique it errors out and refuses to upgrade.

My first hurdle was getting past the nagging “set wifi country” hurdle so I edited the wpa_supplicant.conf file to US and then was able to connect to wifi in client mode set via OP. Without changing the .conf file the message wouldn’t clear no matter where in Raspbian you entered locale info. Another nagging issue is there is no eth0 functionality when cabled to a good switch.

I’ve tried multiple ways to update/upgrade Raspbian, OP, & OpenCPN. No matter which order, method or other the updates error out usually due to hostapd issues and I can’t progress any further. I’m stuck with a handicapped OP1.0 version that refuses to upgrade on a stock Pi3B+. One issue was Chromium was halting upgrades so I removed it and it’s ffmpeg companion.

The sticking point seems to be related to hostapd / stretch errors. Depending on the source some people suggest it’s a Broadcom driver issue in Stretch, other forums suggest it’s a hostapd bug. I figured perhaps someone here has dealt with this and could perhaps help me over the hurdle. I’ve tried many of the various apt-mark and systemctl enable hostapd.service suggestions found here. While I’ve made some progress I’m not quite there yet.

To dis-spell questions about the board having issues, I can load Rasbian strech then install OpenCPN via PPA and things work as they should. I’d prefer to have signalk and some of the other OP offerings functioning without re-inventing the wheel and having to load them individually.

Have other 3B+ users encountered these problems? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
PegLeg

Messages In This Thread
Issues upgrading new install - by PegLeg - 2019-05-28, 06:48 PM
RE: Issues upgrading new install - by jim321 - 2019-05-29, 02:29 PM
RE: Issues upgrading new install - by PegLeg - 2019-05-29, 03:47 PM
RE: Issues upgrading new install - by jim321 - 2019-05-29, 06:40 PM
RE: Issues upgrading new install - by PegLeg - 2019-05-29, 07:34 PM
RE: Issues upgrading new install - by Sailoog - 2019-05-29, 07:40 PM
RE: Issues upgrading new install - by Sailoog - 2019-05-29, 07:34 PM
RE: Issues upgrading new install - by jim321 - 2019-05-29, 10:55 PM
RE: Issues upgrading new install - by PegLeg - 2019-05-30, 12:16 AM