This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using ESP2866 to connect motor driver
I am thinking about my installation layout for the autopilot and getting Wind speed and direction data to the OpenCPN computer.
It seems advantageous to locate the raspberry Pi Zero W on the top of the mast with the Davis wind and speed and the GPS. Then there are no wires going to the mast except power which is going there anyway. The only question is connecting Sean's motor driver output to the motor driver. Since it is just a serial connection  between the PiZ and the motor driver it seems I could use an ESP2866 module, or a 900mhz telemetry connection, at both ends to connect them. It is a little sailboat and the mast is about 25 ft tall. So I guess the question would be how reliable a wifi connection would be at that distance. Maybe also having two wifi connections, although I could put the main PiZero on 5ghz if needed.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Messages In This Thread
Using ESP2866 to connect motor driver - by mike_kelly - 2019-06-04, 05:44 PM