This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to choose 'compass' mode when route is active
(2019-09-04, 01:36 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I don't really see the reason since it is implemented in opencpn already.   Opencpn can play a sound. 

Thx I had already looked for that, but I still can't find it. Where is it then? Watchdog exclusion zones would be a bit cumbersome...

(2019-09-04, 01:36 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Also, the autopilot_route_pi plugin for opencpn provides alternate processing of route following.   It also provides optional confirm dialog on waypoint arrival to do what you asked for, but rather than switching back to compass course, it holds the gps course.

Ahhh! I'll check that out then; I had seen it in GitHub but not on the OpenCPN plugin download page, so I had gathered it was work-in-progress and not for general use yet. Should I compile it from github?

(2019-09-04, 01:36 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Are you sure using waypoints and arrival radius is the best way to follow a route?   Just because old systems used it doesn't make it best.   I prefer route position bearing, where the heading is constantly recomputed toward a position forward along the route, so waypoints have no significance and the boat makes better turns.

Indeed I had seen on one of the videos how you specified something like a turning radius, but had not been able to find it in any pypilot user interface. I guess this advanced 'route position bearing' is in this autopilot_route_pi?  Glad to find out that using those medieval APB messages are not the only way to interface with pypilot!

Whatever it is, I hope it makes up for drift across the track: if there's current perpendicular to the canal, I want it to counter that. Some dredged canals have hard verges. command += 300*xte; is definitely not optimal for this and will not keep me on the line. There must be some I (integration) parameter in the algorithm.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unable to choose 'compass' mode when route is active - by ironman - 2019-09-05, 04:30 PM