This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 RTL-SDR dongles in one Pi
Hi,

I am using SDR-AIS now for some time and it works perfect.
I am trying to use an extra RTL-SDR dongle for recording HAMradio automatically. Because it also uses RTL_fm, like SDR_ais does, it shares the same RTL dongle.  

What I am trying to accomplish is that RTL_test sees both dongles, however one is always in use by SDR-AIS.

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ rtl_test
Found 2 device(s):
 0:  NooElec, NESDR Nano 3, SN: 2782081715
 1:  NooElec, NESDR Nano 3, SN: 1112216165

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

I realize drivers can be blacklisted in the /etc/modprobe.d directory, however I am not sure what effect this will have on my currently working SDR-AIS.
Also, I know when unchecking the SDR-AIS in Openplotter will unblock device #0 and all works well. 

However I don't want to do this every time, because while sailing I want my AIS to keep working while I record things in HAM or Marine frequencies that uses another type of antenna. That's why I thought connecting an extra separate dongle would do the trick.

My question is as follows:

- Is there a way to assign device #2 to SDR-AIS only? Or does this need to be done in RTL_fm? If so, how?

Maybe another way of asking is, can rtl_fm run two dongles or two instances at a time for separate dongles.

Messages In This Thread
2 RTL-SDR dongles in one Pi - by jamos.tan@gmail.com - 2019-11-24, 04:28 PM
RE: 2 RTL-SDR dongles in one Pi - by MatsA - 2019-11-24, 11:38 PM
RE: 2 RTL-SDR dongles in one Pi - by MatsA - 2019-11-30, 10:52 PM