This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAV mode vs GPS mode
My chart plotter is Rosepoint Navigation Coastal Explorer running on an Intel NUC PC.  I typically plot out a route before raising anchor and then activate the route.  The chart plotter calculates Bearing to Waypoint and displays this on the instruments visible from the wheel.  The helmsperson has a choice to steer to this course if wind allows, or steer a different course.

The helmsperson could engage the autopilot to steer a course using Compass or GPS mode.  In GPS mode the autopilot controls for course over ground and corrects for current and leeway where Compass mode does not.  NAV mode, where the helmsperson chooses to have the autopilot follow the course ordered by the chartplotter is different.

At the moment GPS mode is NAV mode if I change settings in the chart plotter to have it serve APB sentences to PyPilot but then I don't have GPS mode unless I go back to the chart plotter and disable APB sentences.  If I have to choose I will almost never use NAV mode because though I know how to make these changes I don't want my crew (wife or other friends) messing around with those settings in the chart plotter.  GPS mode is simpler and safer. 

I would like both GPS mode and NAV mode selectable from the web browser interface to PyPilot.

Messages In This Thread
NAV mode vs GPS mode - by PeterBro3 - 2022-10-10, 04:38 AM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by ironman - 2022-10-10, 11:36 AM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by seandepagnier - 2022-10-10, 09:10 PM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by ironman - 2022-10-10, 09:17 PM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by PeterBro3 - 2022-10-11, 01:56 AM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by seandepagnier - 2022-10-11, 03:06 AM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by PeterBro3 - 2022-10-13, 01:02 PM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by seandepagnier - 2022-10-14, 08:27 PM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by PeterBro3 - 2022-10-24, 04:24 AM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by seandepagnier - 2022-10-24, 07:46 PM
RE: NAV mode vs GPS mode - by seandepagnier - 2022-10-28, 03:12 AM