This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAN connection not showing in SignalK (Extended CAN Frame support issue?)
Hardware: RPI 4B
Openplotter V3
Openplotter-can V3.2.21
Connected Devices:
- Shipmodule MiniPlex 3Wi (connected via TCP, likely not relevant to this issue)
- Victron SmartShunt & SmartSolar (connected via VE.Direct->USB cable, likely not relevant to this issue)
- WS500 Alternator Regulator (sometimes removed for troubleshooting, only powered on when engine running)
- REC-BMS connected via RS485-CAN-HAT.

Synopsis: REC BMS CAN data seems to show up in 'candump' but not in SignalK deltas.

Details: I've got a REC Active BMS hooked up to a Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT via the CANH and CANL wires. I'm able to set up the CAN device in Openplotter's Can Bus 3.2.21, and it says it's set up a connection with SignalK. Within SignalK I see that 'can0' is connected, however there are no deltas. 

Possible cause: When I start the engine, the WS500 regulator comes on. At that time I get additional CAN sentences in 'candump' and these new ones show up in SignalK. The only difference I can see between the sentences that show up and the ones that don't are the length of the TX identifier. Ones from the REC-BMS that don't show up have a 3-digit identifier, whereas the ones that do show up have an 8-digit identifier. I think the REC ABMS is using a 'standard' CAN frame length whereas NMEA 2000 requires an "extended" frame. At least that might explain why the tx-identifier is a different length. In looking at canboatjs and the pgn descriptions, it seems like SignalK can only work with the "extended" frames. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
CAN connection not showing in SignalK (Extended CAN Frame support issue?) - by grazzam - 2023-04-17, 10:12 AM