This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMU / Compass calibration questions
Hi everyone. A little topic so that we can know everything about IMU / compass calibration, including novices like me Wink.

To calibrate my IMU, I used the official instructions:

- https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/2....ation.html

As well as information on this forum:

- https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3124
- https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=4240
- etc.

But it is possible that I still can't calibrate my IMU correctly... maybe that's the problem I've had all along. After several attempts, here are my personal notes:

Quote:Accelerometer bias

Open the accelerometer page and orient the IMU on the 6 faces of the cube whose sides are perpendicular to the axes. Stay a few seconds on each axis until a "need more range" message appears. At the end, the coordinates of the sphere appear. There may also be an "insufficient coverage" message indicating that you should start again (perhaps after calibrating compass?).

Compass

Slowly turn the IMU 360° flat to calibrate. In principle the compass is "self-calibrating". It loses north if the accelerometer is out of adjustment. The compass display window often shows a message that data is missing. Calibrating the compass by simulating a heeling also works, I understand it is useful...

Alignment

When the boat is flat, press the "Boat is level" button. In principle the boat that appears should be correctly positioned in relation to the compass.

And the questions I still have (because I can't find answers or they are contradictory...):

- At the end of the accelerometer calibration, I get the message "calibration distance too small". What does it mean?

- After the compass calibration, I systematically get the message "insufficient coverage: xx need 14". Is this important? Do I have to start again?

- I also sometimes get the message "allowing bad fit" during the compass calibration. What does it mean?

- What does "sigmapoints flat, 2D fit only" mean?

- On the level calibration screen, the boat has disappeared. What does this mean? A screen :

[Image: niveau.png]

- Once the calibration is complete, is it useful to lock the calibration (of the accelerometer, the compass, or both)?

Thank you for your clarification!

Messages In This Thread
IMU / Compass calibration questions - by gponcon - 2023-04-27, 05:23 PM