This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disengaging actuator
(2024-02-21, 09:18 PM)abarrow Wrote: You are looking for an actuator with a clutch. The Raymarine actuator has one (I just had mine open last week).

No idea about third party actuators, but that's how you'd search for it anyway.

The Raymarine in question is of mechanical type, with a ball screw and magnetic clutch?

I really prefer the hydraulic ones with solenoid clutch, whether with an integrated pumpmotor or external.

I dunno about cost, they might be marginally more expensive, but those are quite bullet proof, the solenoid clutch especially. Failure mode is typically such that you can always steer the boat manually, seals leaking hydraulic fluid and such, and usually happen gradually, not instantly, which is nice. You'll get drops of oil in your bilge weeks before the steering fails. I have lost a steering once hundreds of miles offshore, it was.... educational.

Most are manufactured by UK company Hypro, and sold under AP brands like Simrad. I believe even Ray sells one in their bigger sizes.

Messages In This Thread
Disengaging actuator - by teemuv - 2024-02-21, 08:39 PM
RE: Disengaging actuator - by abarrow - 2024-02-21, 09:18 PM
RE: Disengaging actuator - by nousian - 2024-02-22, 10:03 AM
RE: Disengaging actuator - by teemuv - 2024-02-21, 09:41 PM
RE: Disengaging actuator - by seandepagnier - 2024-02-22, 02:16 AM