This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting nmea0183 data for dummies!
Operplotter seems to be a great tool, but I'm not sure about how to set up everythin, especially with nmea0183. I have tried to read the documentation but feel that it does not answer my questions regarding nmea0183 connections.
Today I have a pretty old Raymarine system consisting of: plotter (c80), gps, radar, wind sensor, echo sounder, vhf and autopilot. Everything is connected to a box, besides GPS, which goes directly to the plotter (c80). What I can understand is that the GPS is using nmea0183 and goes directly to the plotter,  while other equipment communicates via seatalk and goes thrue the box. The nmea connection is left empty in the box.

The box I have, also Raymarine, looks like this: [Image: view] https://drive.google.com/file/d/18HpL8rW...nMYEQ/view

Now to my question: First of all, I want to connect GPS and the autopilot to openplotter. I have a separate navigation software on a laptop and want to retrieve the information from Openplotter. I have purchased a NMEA 0183 two USB converter from openmarine. However, can I connect both gps and autopilot to the same usb converter? Or do I need to purchase several "NMEA 0183 to USB converter"? Huh 

As you notice, I am a real beginner of this and I feel realy stupid!  But, I would be grateful if someone could easily describe, alternatively, suggest a link, how to get the nmea0183 information into openplotter and then use it on a navigation program on a laptop, for example. I did figured out how to connect the AIS but nmea is harder to understand.
//Patrik

Messages In This Thread
getting nmea0183 data for dummies! - by Pkarl45 - 2017-06-28, 02:51 PM