This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] No signal K keys to choose, Questions during update
(2017-10-10, 10:37 AM)ElbeTaxi Wrote: Now, after some testing and plugging/unplugging, restarting and so on.. the sensors disappeared from the sensor ID list in the add 1W Dialog. They are not longer recognized.

So all gets worse, and i give up.

If a sensor ID doesn't show on the list, it means that it isn't recognized by the system any more. It is not an open plotter issue. I have had two issues that took me quite some time to sort out. Both issues are/were related to bad connections.
My 1W system is implemented with CAT5 cable and splitters off the main trunk line. I use ethernet cable cable sections to go between splitters and each sensor plugs into the splitter with the same connectors (8 conductor RJ45 connectors).
It turns out (and I still have a hard time believing it) that the cheap splitters I was using are causing issues. There are no active components in these splitters yet the sensors would sometimes be there and sometimes not. I ended up tossing all my cheap splitters that cost me somewhere around $0.50 each and replaced them with splitters around $2 each. I also made some of my own splitters. It was a very frustrating issue to trouble shoot because the same splitter might work one day but not the next.
The magic answer - apparently a splitter that has all three locking tabs on the RJ45 connectors on the same side are good splitters. These splitters are generally based on a little PCB inside the housing with three standard sockets soldered to the PCB.
I still have occasions when the whole system goes down and I end up wiggling all connections to the PI which fixes things. I have not been able to locate the bad connection on the PI.
I found choosing a key a bit non-intuitive but once I realized how things were set up, everything worked well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: No signal K keys to choose, Questions during update - by JD1 - 2017-10-10, 12:55 PM