This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to monitor the boat using MQTT or SMS ?
(2017-10-13, 11:03 PM)Vamonos Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 10:07 PM)Alpenskipper Wrote: I monitor my boat with node red and the node red dashboard.
GSM is sufficient, even if slowed down due to data speed reduction.
You need to tunnel the data through the GSM net wirh e.g ngrok service.

I'm curious about the amount of data that it uses. My concern with setting up a GSM connection is that some services in the operating system use data and could get rather expensive. Have you not found this to be the case?

I am not using Mqtt or node red until now but i use a libary and setup i found in other projects. There is a project for raspberry pi but i asked for the code to review in their forum and it seems they give their code not under a gpl like license... so i decide not to use it...

From my implementation i can say the data transfer is close to nothings for shure much less than yours 7 batteries...

If i am at yours place i will ask first why this could happen. And a shorten solar system can burn yours boat.

First circuitbreakers have to ....  solar regulator is fused and bypasses the breaker...... puhhh and you think thats enough? hmmm. 

First start for a new calculation
I suggest to look more videos of this channel an esp uses 0,1 A a raspberry needs 3,4 A. so yours month to destroy batteries is allmost december and this in greece with a lot of sun. I did ask Spiess to be a mentor for 2 Boating projects because i think he explains good and we will have good documentation than.

One is the Diesel consumption calculator what depents on a lot of factors RPM Temperature of the diesel Backflow and a lots of other parameters...

Ok not much interesting for sailing boats.

The other is the solar monitor with gravana and influx...

Others will help also and some weeks ago i did posting a new demo...
Some things will not be easy for integration to openplotter because during developement and testing i can not doing any Openplotter update. the last ones did shot my whole extra instalations down... A lot of things you do not need in absense time so think about for this time to run an independat setup... also to choose a different type of batteries in england you get used Valence batteries. They are LIfePO$ tYPES::: NEW PRICE IS FOR ONE 130AH arround 2000 Euros but old used ones you can easy refurbish and pay just the same than for a AGM or Gel battery...

https://emoncms.org/

and the diy powalls i am active for the moment. so maybee it gives you an idea...

Sorry a lots of windows open some missmatch here in last posting

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to monitor the boat using MQTT or SMS ? - by tocan - 2017-10-14, 01:49 AM