This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercury Smartcraft, Nema2k adapter and OP/opencpn
So... I am very new to Nema... frankly I had no idea it existed till I stumbled upon Sean's tinypilot website while searching for a way to steer my boat while fishing (trolling)...

Anyhow, I haven't quite got a full grasp on it yet to say the least so I need some help to understand the possibilities.

I have a mercury outboard with a handy device called vesselview mobile... gives me tons of info on my smart phone, but I wonder if it is possible to create a nema network and somehow push this data to my openplotter Rpi running opencpn using this adapter https://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html

1. Can openplotter manage/distribute this data?
2. How would I connect the adapter to my openplotter RPi
3. are there Opencpn plugins that would take this data and display it as they have shown on the Raymarine multi screen? I use "dashboard" now but that is pretty clumsy and there is only so much room on the screen, I think it would need to have multiple screen views so you could customize what each one shows.

it would be nice to have one display that can show all the info like that Raymarine one does 

(2019-08-26, 04:22 PM)rastam4n Wrote: So... I am very new to Nema... frankly I had no idea it existed till I stumbled upon Sean's tinypilot website while searching for a way to steer my boat while fishing (trolling)...

Anyhow, I haven't quite got a full grasp on it yet to say the least so I need some help to understand the possibilities.

I have a mercury outboard with a handy device called vesselview mobile... gives me tons of info on my smart phone, but I wonder if it is possible to create a nema network and somehow push this data to my openplotter Rpi running opencpn using this adapter https://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html

1. Can openplotter manage/distribute this data?
If you have a Mercury Engine Interface Gateway NMEA2000 CAN-P 8M0105243 and a usb-can adapter then you should be able to receive some data from your motor.
2. How would I connect the adapter to my openplotter RPi
Connect the usb cable of the can-usb to the raspberry. Connect the can-usb to your nmea2000 network. Connect your Mercury Engine Gateway NMEA2000 to the motor and nmea2000 network
3. are there Opencpn plugins that would take this data and display it as they have shown on the Raymarine multi screen? I use "dashboard" now but that is pretty clumsy and there is only so much room on the screen, I think it would need to have multiple screen views so you could customize what each one shows.

it would be nice to have one display that can show all the info like that Raymarine one does

Opencpn can't show you motor data. (only NMEA0183 data). You can use Kip to display some motor data.

There could be a time when you can get a Signal K plugin to get data directly from mercury bluetooth LE into your rpi into Signal K.
(2019-08-27, 06:49 PM)e-sailing Wrote: There could be a time when you can get a Signal K plugin to get data directly from mercury bluetooth LE into your rpi into Signal K.

Well that would be amazing. I would help in any way possible to have that as an option, would that mean I could display the gauges in an OP browser page?