This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESC FWD_FAULT (VNH2sp30)
Hi Sean and co., and thanks for your great work! 

I'm quite unfamiliar with Arduino and so on, but decided to give this autopilot a chance, since my bankaccount can't afford the ones on the market.

But I'm running into some problem getting the ESC to work. 

First of all, this is my setup:
RPi 3
Arduino uno
VNH2sp30
MPU9250
And a small engine for testing purpose (Waiting for my actuator to arrive by post)

The first thing I did, was to test the VNH2sp30 ESC, since I could understand that a lot of them had faults on them. I tested it with this simple script:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Tutoria...ule-Single
which worked flawlessly, both forward, backward and regulation speed. So far so good.  (I'm aware that the wiring in this guide is different than from pypilot)
The gyro works flawlessly Pypilot as well. 

But I never managed getting the ESC (VNH2sp30) to work with pypilot, I wired after the instructions in pypilot, and selected 2 for using the VNH2sp30 as described in your script, but I just kept getting a "FWD_FAULT" error in Pypilot.

After not getting any results on Google, I tried to change efuses, but not sure if I succeded changing the efuses or not 
But now my simple script (the one from instructables.com) that worked in the beginning, (with the different pinout), doesn't work any longer.

Could I've broken the Arduino trying to change the efuses? With the Pypilot script loaded onto the Arduino, the TX and RX blinks continuously, and the L doesn't light up at all.

First I thought that I might have broken the VNH (ESC), but ordered two new ones, and the exact same problem occurred

If I compile the command line script it I will not upload (desync error, SDK 500 out of sync) But if I comment out the baud rate flag in the Makefile it compiles and uploads just fine. But still with FWD_FAULT error in pypilot?

I've tried changing the USB cable to the Arduino, and I've tried using a PC and MacBook instead of Raspberry Pi, but still the same SDK 500 error. 

I have a feeling that I'm missing something quite obvious or simple since no one else seems to have the same problem as me - and/or because of my lack of experience in the field :-) 

Hopefully, you guys can point me in the right direction, Google doesn't help me unfortunately.

Cheers!
(2019-08-27, 02:45 PM)Rellek Wrote: Hi Sean and co., and thanks for your great work! 

I'm quite unfamiliar with Arduino and so on, but decided to give this autopilot a chance, since my bankaccount can't afford the ones on the market.

But I'm running into some problem getting the ESC to work. 

First of all, this is my setup:
RPi 3
Arduino uno
VNH2sp30
MPU9250
And a small engine for testing purpose (Waiting for my actuator to arrive by post)

The first thing I did, was to test the VNH2sp30 ESC, since I could understand that a lot of them had faults on them. I tested it with this simple script:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Tutoria...ule-Single
which worked flawlessly, both forward, backward and regulation speed. So far so good.  (I'm aware that the wiring in this guide is different than from pypilot)

Did the current sense (CS) work?

Quote:The gyro works flawlessly Pypilot as well. 

But I never managed getting the ESC (VNH2sp30) to work with pypilot, I wired after the instructions in pypilot, and selected 2 for using the VNH2sp30 as described in your script, but I just kept getting a "FWD_FAULT" error in Pypilot.
This error is triggered when commanded to move forward but the current exceeds the limit. Try commanding in reverse.

It could be an issue of current sense, or it could be an issue of the controller shorting
Quote:After not getting any results on Google, I tried to change efuses, but not sure if I succeded changing the efuses or not 
You should not need to change the fuses unless you get BAD_FUSES flag
Quote:But now my simple script (the one from instructables.com) that worked in the beginning, (with the different pinout), doesn't work any longer.

Could I've broken the Arduino trying to change the efuses? With the Pypilot script loaded onto the Arduino, the TX and RX blinks continuously, and the L doesn't light up at all.
The L will light up whenever the motor is commanded to move (autopilot engaged)
Quote:First I thought that I might have broken the VNH (ESC), but ordered two new ones, and the exact same problem occurred
If you have have several vnh and several arduino you should be able to determine what is broken. Perhaps you set the wrong fuses?
Quote:If I compile the command line script it I will not upload (desync error, SDK 500 out of sync) But if I comment out the baud rate flag in the Makefile it compiles and uploads just fine. But still with FWD_FAULT error in pypilot?
For all I know, you changed the DIV8 flag in the fuse byte which makes the clock the wrong speed. This will change the baud rate needed upload but not really sure why you have a problem
Quote:I've tried changing the USB cable to the Arduino, and I've tried using a PC and MacBook instead of Raspberry Pi, but still the same SDK 500 error. 

I have a feeling that I'm missing something quite obvious or simple since no one else seems to have the same problem as me - and/or because of my lack of experience in the field :-) 

Hopefully, you guys can point me in the right direction, Google doesn't help me unfortunately.

Cheers!

I think you are experiencing 2 or more problems at the same time which makes it more confusing.
Hi again,
Sorry for my late response - and thank you for you reply Sean!

I figured out the problem, and everything works now. I bought a new Arduino and used another power supply, and now it works (in my test box) with a small dc engine. (Turning one way, when I'm changing the direction of the compass, and reverse)

I've change the amps, to fit the small engine, and everything is setup as as before - but I'm getting a "driver_timeout" now and then, when it's running? Do you have any idea what it chould be?
driver timeout is a warning that the autopilot is trying to move the motor but not detecting any current through it. This usually means that the motor is not connected, but in your case maybe means the current sense isn't working or sensitive enough.
Hi again, I got it working with an old TP20! Thank you very much for your great work Sean :-)
Anybody know what amps I should choose for the TP20?
Try at 3 or 4 amps, and if it trips when it should not, you can increase it. Typically 4-7 amps for that motor.