This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vnh20sp30
Not really sure whether it is still relevant for someone but I ordered a VNH20SP30 and tried it with the motor.ino sketch. Using an (genuine, Italy build) Arduino UNO gave me an FWD_fault in openplotter, used a no name china Arduino Nano 328 clone, worked fine.

Still don't understand what that was about. Got it working now with current sensing. It seems that the is absolutely no QC on these things never the less it is still the easiest way to create a controller in my opinion. I wasn't able to figure out how to reflash a brushless ESC and could not find reasonably priced brushed ESC without braking of half power backwards circuitry. 

Next challenge; finding a suitable actuator for a 27-foot boat.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZRj1vii3gJV66xpZ7
Hello Fellow sailors!

I'm also trying to make my pypilot with this controller but I have some questions....

-Am I right to use the ratiometric mode and therefor Ground D5 and D4? D6 is left open?
-can i wire the "CS" (current sense) directly to A1 on the arduino? without any capacitors or code change?
-How long can the cable be betweeen my ttl-usb controller and the arduino(in the tiller)?

Hope anyone can help!

Thanks, steffen
I believe you are correct, but you should also check the code and set the vnh20sp30 ifdefs

The wires can be very long, much longer than most boats in most cases. It depends on interference, but you can also use shielded twisted pairs so each wire has a ground wire from ethernet cable and it goes hundreds of feet at 3.3 volts in this cases, so most people don't need shielded wires.
(2019-10-23, 12:27 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I believe you are correct, but you should also check the code and set the vnh20sp30 ifdefs

The wires can be very long, much longer than most boats in most cases.   It  depends on interference, but you can also use shielded twisted pairs so each wire has a ground wire from ethernet cable and it goes hundreds of feet at 3.3 volts in this cases, so most people don't need shielded wires.

Thank you for your reply Sean!

Yes i will set the right ifdefs. Will update when i have succes.

Greetz from The Netherlands

Thank you for your reply Sean!

[/quote]

Hey,

I don't understand is your problem software or hardware related. Should I dig up my motor.ino sketch?

Don't mind sharing it.

Br. Robin

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk
(2019-10-29, 12:24 PM)vatuhiva Wrote: Thank you for your reply Sean!

Quote:Hey,

I don't understand is your problem software or hardware related. Should I dig up my motor.ino sketch? 

Don't mind sharing it. 

Br. Robin

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk

Hi Robin,

i don't know wether my problem is software or hardware related. I keep getting the SYNC FWD_FAULT. Maybe the current sense isnt working or maybe i used the wrong resitors in the voltage sense (15k and 100k, to -12 and +12 and A0 on de Nano).

Serial seems to work fine, although i don't see any data leds blinking on the nano...

Or maybe i did something wrong in the motor ino. Yours would really help! will you send it to me?

Thanks for helping!

grtz, Steffen
Check that pin 7 and 8 are not grounded and reading 5 volts if you get this FWD_FAULT it indicates maybe it is the cause.
Just want to mention for all you folks having such fun out there with the VNH20SP30 not working, that this chip is no longer manufacturered, and ST recommend using the VNH5019 instead.

I ordered some VNH5019 modules off AliExpress 10 days ago. Will try them out when they arrive.
Some people must have bad luck with the IC. Mine works fine. Had trouble with the Nano (fuses bad) and with the  Raspberry Zero W (Wifi didnt work). 

I think some of you had a chip out of a bad batch. I don’t  condemn  all Raspberry Zero´s and Arduino Nano´s because I had trouble with both.
I don't condemn all the parts but I did not manage to get a good one after ordering 3.

In any case, it has a much higher on resistance than using individual mosfets which wastes more power. It is really interesting because it eliminates a lot of individual components though, so you might consider this.