This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensors - one to many?
Playing and learning as I go along, but now I'm stuck and need some help.  
I have been messing around with a battery monitor project I discovered a while back, and which I have planned to integrate in my instrument panel through a 20*4 LCD. 
Problem is that is fully autonomous, and way beyond my level of programming. So I started thinking - is it possible to use voltage sensors like these in a one-to-many setup: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25v-DC-Input-...2575133287 Power and ground to the Arduino but splitting the signal wire to the battery monitor (Arduino) and an ESP8266 or ADS1115 to get battery monitor signal as well as Signal K data?
OR
Is it better to add an extra sensor in line with the first and use one sensor for each system?

Hit me!

/Ranur noob!

Link to the monitor: https://github.com/vtomanov/merix and here it what it looks like (hopefully without the music...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ukt8E8NHLA
I have been working along the same lines, you might get some ideas from my projects. See my project pages. I have tried to avoid the cables, only exception is the gyro, magnetometer etc which run over some distanse using an I2C extender. The rest of the data if sent as SignalK messages using wifi, ESP8266 or ESP32.  The Arduino is a small less powerful microcontroller, while specially the ESP32 is quite a powerful dual core SoC. In addition one can use the Arduino IDE and recycle the programming skills used to program the Arduino. In addition you can use other languages and IDEs to program the ESPs.

Have fun,
Ole
(2020-01-14, 06:35 PM)olewsaa Wrote: I have been working along the same lines, you might get some ideas from my projects. See my project pages. I have tried to avoid the cables, only exception is the gyro, magnetometer etc which run over some distanse using an I2C extender. The rest of the data if sent as SignalK messages using wifi, ESP8266 or ESP32.  The Arduino is a small less powerful microcontroller, while specially the ESP32 is quite a powerful dual core SoC. In addition one can use the Arduino IDE and recycle the programming skills used to program the Arduino. In addition you can use other languages and IDEs to program the ESPs.

Have fun,
Ole

Åhhh endelig en nordmann! Jeg har sett på siden din Ole - mye bra dokumentasjon. ;-)
Here is the current sensor I'd like to use. Can I send simultaneous signal to my Arduino Uno (as required for the Merix battery monitor) and to my ESP8266 (On SignKSens sending Signal K to OP)? Anyone done it? 

What's the worst that can happen right? ;-)
Thanks for the nice review of my projects. 

If I understand you correctly you want to send the signal both to the Arduino and the ESP8266 ? This sounds a bit tricky. I would suggest connecting a small ESP8266 module (they come in two sizes) to the Arduino and using the wifi to send it to SignalK. I have played a little bit with it and it's no problem of sending things from Arduino to the ESP8266 over a serial connection and then sending a SignalK string to OpenPlotter's SignalK server. I did some work on this using a watt meter for domestic use, never really finished but the code (on github) should get you started. There are a lot of projects exploring this on the net so you should not have to write too much code. 

Have fun,
Ole