This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPU9250 heading is slowly drifting
disabling opengl is only for the non rendered boat issue.

to resize the boat window with blue background, put the cursor in the bottom edge of that blue window, wait for the cursor to change shape (2 arrows) and drag, see attached

Thank you Sailoog. Sorted now, there seems to be a delay before the resize window appears, wasn’t patient enough!
Thumbs Up 
(2020-01-21, 02:06 AM)Opie91 Wrote: I was able to get the acceleration to calibrate and then set the alignment, but not the compass would not calibrate. The heading is slowly drifting about .5 deg/minute. Not completely convinced that my problem is not a bad batch of MPUs.

Ordered another one that should be here tomorrow. Ill try it out and report back.

MPU change made all the difference in the world. Accel & compass calibrations happen easily. Heading rock solid.

Thanks!
I have a Pi3 with a 9250/9255 at the end of a 1m piece unshielded wire mounted in a block of wood sittin in the middle of the basement on a wooden stool where roll is slowly drifting.  I calibrated the compass by rotating the block on each of the 6 sides. When eventually I set it down so that it read 359 and then flip the cube around 180 degrees to face south it comes up with the wrong direction. I have a old release,  I'll try this with 2.0.22-stable and try this again, maybe my IMU is toast too? Maybe 1m is too long for a unshielded wire? What are others using?  I need at least 1m of wire to get away from the other electronics when I install it in the boat.
1M is pretty far for i2c but should still work. You probably don't need to get it away from electronics as much as you think.

Rotating the sensors on 6 sides does not calibrate the compass. This calibrates the accelerometers.

To calibrate the compass you need to slowly (like speed of a boat turning) rotate in 360, but only after you have leveled the sensors as well. It helps to run the "pypilot_calibration" script to visualize this.
(2020-01-24, 07:05 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: 1M is pretty far for i2c but should still work.   You probably don't need to get it away from electronics as much as you think.

Rotating the sensors on 6 sides does not calibrate the compass.   This calibrates the accelerometers.

To calibrate the compass you need to slowly (like speed of a boat turning) rotate in 360, but only after you have leveled the sensors as well.    It helps to run the "pypilot_calibration" script to visualize this.

And you need the absolute last version of pypilot, 2.0.5-beta!
I guess that makes sense the Moitessier HAT sits on top of the PI. I'll shorten the wire. I'll put the PI and the IMU in a wood box and position it on the 6 sides to set the accelerometers, then set it flat on the floor mark boat is level and then slowly rotate it. If north is not 0 and south is not 180 I'll get a new IMU.
(2020-01-24, 07:05 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: 1M is pretty far for i2c but should still work.   You probably don't need to get it away from electronics as much as you think.

Rotating the sensors on 6 sides does not calibrate the compass.   This calibrates the accelerometers.

To calibrate the compass you need to slowly (like speed of a boat turning) rotate in 360, but only after you have leveled the sensors as well.    It helps to run the "pypilot_calibration" script to visualize this.

Pls have a look at this post, might help with i2c extension

https://sites.google.com/site/olewsaa/ya...e-extender

Bart
I've had my IMU going out of wack after re-installs and sitting motionless.
It just needed re-calibration as per

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ation.html

Thanks,
--MG
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

Fresh 2020-01-13-OpenPlotter-Starting-v2.0.img installed and updated with pypilot 2.0.5-beta, the boat graphic is working!
Running thru the accel calibration process. ( thx @mgrouch I've been looking at the 1.x docs )

1) after the 6 side calibration and the set of green dots, they never turn yellow
2) adding more point to sphere does not seem to help it
2) the calibration age never updates
3) there are time when pypilot_calibrate process runs at 99-100% and the graphic stops updating

Calibration is not locked and the Clear button seems to have no effect
IMU wire is about 30cm
stopped pypilot processes, removed .pypilot/pypilot.conf and restarted no change in calibration age
rebooted and the calibration age remains the same

( maybe I should take this discussion to another thread? )