This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nmea 0183 Serial Adaptor Problem
I have:
Raspberry 2
Open Plotter 0.6.0
2 wifi Dongle
1 DVB/T Dongle
1 Hub 7 port
1 Nmea 0183 adaptor connected with Raymarine C90W (C90W Nmea Output with R+ and R- on the serial adaptor)
OpenPlotter The Inspector wrote: Connected with localhost:10110.Error:timed out, waiting for data.
The serial adaptor have green led (switch light green and dark green) but openplotter cant' received any data.
In openplotter i have:
system_input UDP 127.0.0.1 10110 none nothing
nmea SERIAL /dev/ttyUSB0  4800 none nothing
system_output TCP localhost 10110 none nothing
Could you help me?
Sorry for my english
Best Regards
Giulio
Try to find out if your C90W connection is RS232 or RS422 and the exact baud speed
You have R+ and R- the RS422 standard requires a common ground. In your case you have two wires, whereas you need 3 wires. The signals on R pos and neg, are in relation to zero volts or ground.
(2016-03-23, 10:58 AM)Tacmed Wrote: You have R+ and R-  the RS422 standard requires a common ground. In your case you have two wires, whereas you need 3 wires. The signals on R pos and neg, are in relation to zero volts or ground.

Hi!

Is there a documentation, how to configure the USB-NMEA0183 adapter? I do not get it to work.

In the USB Manager I added the USB-NMEA0183 adapter as: ttyOP_SERUSB
On NMEA0182 I added a new Input with ttyOP-SERUSB, 4800 baud, no filtering

On the USB adapter the green LED ids blinking, when connecting to the 0183datastream from the plotter.

But with the inspector I only can see my sensor data nmea sentences.
In OpenCPN I cant see the sensor data, nor the plotter data from the USB-NMEA0183 converter.

How is this configured correctly?

greetings,

Martin
Open OpenPlotter in debug mode and restart the NMEA 0183 multiplexer to see if kplex is reporting errors.

Check your wiring and bauds settings in plotter and OpenPlotter.
(2016-04-11, 06:31 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Open OpenPlotter in debug mode and restart the NMEA 0183 multiplexer to see if kplex is reporting errors.

all settings 4800,8,N,1

Debug mode gives no messages in command line windows.

Green LED is flashing when receiving data
Red LED is flashing when sending data.

How can I check the raw data that is coming in?

EDIT:

I read the data outgoing from Openplotter on the PC via a terminalprogram:

There are coming "sentences" in on the PC side , but they don't look like NMEA:
4800,8,N,1 Mode ASCII:

[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo??????aYOw[?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo??????aYOw[?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w???aYOw[?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w???aYOw[?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo??????aYOw[?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo?????<\0>[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo??????aYOw[?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>
Alpenskipper
(2016-04-11, 06:31 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Open OpenPlotter in debug mode and restart the NMEA 0183 multiplexer to see if kplex is reporting errors.

all settings 4800,8,N,1

[e=?m?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?_????????{?m?y_?y??????y?m?yW?o??????[?m?yo??????aYOw[?y??????y??Q???w??<\0>[e=?m?y??????

For me it looks like an wrong polarity on the Cables or their Phases. 
Or maybe an really wrong Baudrate: many AIS/GPS Interfaces use 38400 Baud.

Good Luck, Holger.
Agree with holgerw, this is a typical wrong baud rate result.
OP gets the signal but is not able to parse it. Check different baud rates. Where come this signal from? are you sure is NMEA 0183?
Wink 
hi

are you sure your plotter is producing nmea sentences on the output you are monitoring ?
this is not a seatalk or nmea 2000 datastream ?
Just to close this thread. Finally Giulio78 resolved the problem reversing polarity connection. Some user have experimented this issue and the behaviour in common was that leds don't turn on and off clearly, just a brilliance variation. I have asking other users to confirm that all the issues were on Raymarine C90W plotter.