This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused over SK Connections
I'm a little confused over SK connections ...

I'm trying to setup an NMEA simulator using NavMon for PC.
I have configured Navmon to send a simulated NMEA data stream by setting it up as a TCP server on my laptop on 192.168.1.92 and port 10115 and "playing" an NMEA file

I have configured an SK connection to be as follows
ID: simulator
NMEA source: TCP client
Host: 192.168.1.92 
Port: 10115
Sentence Event: simulator

When I play the file, I can see the simulated NMEA as SK paths in the SK Dashboard Data Browser window but it doesnt get to OpenCPN as NMEA. Just an empty NMEA Debug window
(BTW - When I connect a USBGPS I do see NMEA data in OpenCPN)

So, what am I doing wrong. I know it will be a simple error but I cant figure it out.

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Do you have the input in OpencCPN? TCP localhost 10110
The signalk sksim is great - just use it instead? Cool
[Image: nBqc9WQ.png]
Sailoog, PaddyB
Thanks for replying.

I havent changed the OCPN connection settings from default so I do have input 10110 (see attached screengrab)

If I look in the NavMon monitor window I see all the required sentences being sent out from my Simulator eg RMC
In SK Dashboard, Data Browser I can see the resulting SK paths eg navigation.position

To confirm the basic setup, if I connect a USB GPS I do get data streaming in.
If I use the SK - NMEA plugin I can generate  RMC from SK navigation.position and that works OK

I haven't tried the SK Sim but I really wanted to understand the whole SK connections thing which is why I want get to the bottom of this problem

Thanks again

Attached Files Image(s)

if you have data in SK and opencpn is connected to SK by localhost TCP 10110 you should get data.
Be sure TCP localhost 10110 is not being used by any program.
Disable checksum in opencpn, maybe navmon is not sending reliable checksums.
(2020-05-18, 08:18 AM)affinite Wrote: To confirm the basic setup, if I connect a USB GPS I do get data streaming in.
If I use the SK - NMEA plugin I can generate  RMC from SK navigation.position and that works OK

I haven't tried the SK Sim but I really wanted to understand the whole SK connections thing which is why I want get to the bottom of this problem

If the usb gps is sending NMEA0183 then you shouldn't  need to use the SigK - NMEA app, any NMEA signalk receives is echoed straight back out again on port 10110. (pretty sure.....) 
If the data is getting into to SigK as SigK, like from the sK sim, then you'll need the app to convert that to nmea which will also go out on port 10110.
This has become a bit of a "pebble in my shoe"
I just tried putting the USBGPS onto my laptop and setup NAVMON to route the NMEA data from the USBGPS to its TCP server on 192.168.1.92:10110 (my laptop)
I have an SK Connection pointing to that IP address as a client and, just as before, SignalK on the Rpi sees the data and shows a valid "navigation.position" and the other GPS paths.
But, like before with simulated data, no NMEA data appears in OCPN.
If I activate the "Convert SK to NMEA" plugin in SK and configure it to create GLL and GGA from SK, voila, the little red boat appears in OCPN!

PaddyB, Like you said I shouldn't have to do that. 
As far as I understood, I would have expected all live SK paths to be converted to NMEA sentences and sent out on port 10110 to OCPN

I dont want to waste your time guys if Im simply misunderstanding how to configure this connection, but I'm beginning to think that there is some sort of bug relating to NMEA over IP into SK at play here.

Has anyone else successfully sent NMEA 0183 to SignalK over TCP/IP ?
Cheksums?
I tried switching off checksum in OCPN connection - made no difference.
(2020-05-18, 04:08 PM)affinite Wrote: This has become a bit of a "pebble in my shoe"
I just tried putting the USBGPS onto my laptop and setup NAVMON to route the NMEA data from the USBGPS to its TCP server on 192.168.1.92:10110 (my laptop)
I have an SK Connection pointing to that IP address as a client and, just as before, SignalK on the Rpi sees the data and shows a valid "navigation.position" and the other GPS paths.
But, like before with simulated data, no NMEA data appears in OCPN.
If I activate the "Convert SK to NMEA" plugin in SK and configure it to create GLL and GGA from SK, voila, the little red boat appears in OCPN!

PaddyB, Like you said I shouldn't have to do that. 
As far as I understood, I would have expected all live SK paths to be converted to NMEA sentences and sent out on port 10110 to OCPN

I dont want to waste your time guys if Im simply misunderstanding how to configure this connection, but I'm beginning to think that there is some sort of bug relating to NMEA over IP into SK at play here.

Has anyone else successfully sent NMEA 0183 to SignalK over TCP/IP ?

Got me stumped as well Smile
I can send over tcp from node red on another computer on the same network and receive it in node red on the pi, but can't seem to connect to sigK in a new connection. It says connected from the other machine to the 192.168.. Pi address port 10110 but can't see any data coming into SK - that's sending a repeated RMC nmea string. So dunno... WHat you could try is a flowe in node red to see what's coming in from navmon >
[Image: aX6wHxB.png]

Or ask on the sigK slack channel maybe. http://slack-invite.signalk.org/